1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hide slipping after going in the pickle

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Marlin, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Marlin

Marlin Guest

I have a mule deer hide that I put into the pickle after fleshing (have not salted yet) it. 2 days later when I took it out it has a few slip marks about 1 inch wide. I dried off the hide and put salt on it right away, will this help stop the slipping? What else can I do to help save this hide?

2. marlin

marlin Guest

Also once I have this hide in liqui tan should it lock most of the hair?

3. Larry B

Larry B New Member

Tanning will help lock it in, although it will almost always be loose. I always salt and dry before a pickle but other throw them in green.
    You can try and tan it anyway but it may just be lost.

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Junk it.

5. Try using Krowtann next time...no need for salting or pickling...just roughly flesh and tan..be sure to follow the directions to the letter that come with it and when washing after tanning and neutralizing, wash in cold/cold gentle cycle with 1/2 CAPFUL of Liquid Tide...

6. JohnW.

JohnW. Guest

Marlin,that intial salting really helps to set the hair.You'll have many folks swear you can skip that process and be fine.I tried that several years ago on fresh skins,I didn't lose any skins but had loose hair until the mount dried.I went back to my intial salting and haven't had any loose hair problems since and that includes some not too fresh skins.Thats been my experience for what its worth. ;D

7. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Im with John.