1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer or Birds what is easier

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by hvtofish, Sep 26, 2008.

1. hvtofish

hvtofish New Member

Can anyone tell me which is easier to mount Deer or Birds

2. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

One is not any easier than the other, they both have their difficulties. Try them both and see for yourself, then you decide.

3. hvtofish

hvtofish New Member

I have done a few birds and I am getting better. I struggle getting the meat out of the wings for a flying mount. I have not done a deer head yet and was thinking it might be easier given the size.

4. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Size does not make it easier, somtimes it makes it harder. Two ways to doo the wings, cut the underside and clean out. Strip the wing down to the wrist and remove meat from bones.

5. ,,,
    .....great answer

6. hvtofish

hvtofish New Member

I am cuttung under the wing but the feathers do not seem to lay right when I am done. I also tried to invert the wing and same problem.

7. John L

John L Active Member

Deer but I have only done about 4 birds.

John

8. FISH

9. hvtofish

hvtofish New Member

anyone else?

10. ShaunO31

ShaunO31 New Member

Hey Kevin R. I don't believe that fish was one of the options. HAHAHA

Shaun O

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

Trying some of each is not going to be an accurate decision for you. I feel both are easy to mount, but I have mounted a few of each. Getting some experience under your belt with help you with both. Have fun with it and enjoy.

12. Experience with both of them will make both of them easier. Deer are easier to me because I have done way more of them than I have done birds. But I do enjoy mounting birds.

13. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

It's all easy, and it's all hard. You break every critter down into steps. Enjoy it as you go. Try not to get frustrated. Don't be afraid to fail...because you're going to at some point. All you can do is your best...learn all you can...practice/use the skills...get better...every day...always & in all ways. ;)

14. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I would have to ask 2 questions 1)what kind of bird are you talking about? Some are harder than others. And 2) are you tanning the deer yourself or sending it out?

15. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I've done a few of each myself, and I believe that it depends on how bad each is cut up or shot up. A good specimen of either is no real challenge, but trying to make chicken salad out of chicken $h!t takes time on both deer and birds.

16. Matt

Matt Active Member

Yes Joeym, that is good advice. I forgot to add that you can polish a turd all day long, and at the end of the day, you still have a turd!(LOL)

17. Kittrell Hill

Kittrell Hill 9 Beard Merriam 2008 Meade Co SD

My advice is try both I enjoy deer more but I mount over a 150 a year and only mount 25 or 30 birds a year thats ducks geese and turkeys. The mammals just seem the go together easier for me

18. hvtofish

hvtofish New Member

I have done pheasants and wood ducks

19. Golden Feather

Golden Feather New Member

I'll tell you what... I'm very new at any taxidermy, and have done both. I had a couple birds to do, with fear and trepadation at tackling them. Then I saw an ad for DVDs by Tony Finazzo on mounting birds. I ordered the flying diver duck and standing upland bird. Let me tell you, they took me through the process step by step, and even covered how to overcome broken bones. My birds turned out beautiful, (if I do say so myself) and I owe it all to Tony and Joe Kulis, who produced these dvds. I especially loved doing the finishing part, grooming the feathers. Now I look forward to getting more birds in... love to do them.

20. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I'va always been told you CAN"T polish a turd.
    The shnit just smears.

I like Lisa's answer. Step by step and you go forth.