1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

dried coyote

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by AOTaxi, Sep 27, 2008.

1. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

I am a bird guy but had a customer bring me a coyote that he has had dried and not fleshed real well sitting for two years, he wants it tanned for a wall hanger or something like that. what steps should I take to rehydrate so I can flesh it and can I tan it myself without a big expense or should I send it to the commercial tannery. Thanks
    AO

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If you want to do this I would talk with the guy and tell him it's your first and may not come out well! If he agrees to that then I would hydrate using ultra-soft and water (follow the directions ) then rinse it. From there pickle the hide (I use saftee-acid) for three days. Take out drain for about 30 min, shave the hide, degrease in Kemal 4 or what ever you may want rinse well and place it back in the pickle for another day. After that you take out drain for about 30 min. and place in a neutralizing bath containing baking soda ( one tablespoon to a gallon of water ) for 30 min. Take out and drain.
    Now you can tan the hide with ever you like. Liqua-tan would be fine for this project or EZ-100 is also a great tan.
    If your not sure of this then send it to the pros. East Coast Tannery is a great place for you to ship to.
    1-877-tan-furs

3. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree New Member

This.

It's a lose - lose proposition.