1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

dermestid beetles and red legged ham beetles

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by jonscut, Dec 17, 2006.

1. jonscut

jonscut Member

My dermestid colony has been infected with ham beetles. As of now they aren't that destructive and the dermestid are doing good, but I would like to get rid of them before they become a problem. Has anyone gotten rid of ham beetles without starting all over with a new colony?

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

That is a tough one...I believe that red LHB are more of a problem if you have too much food in you dermestarium. Limit food each day to only what dermestids will consume. remove any bones in the substrate...they like to hide in bones. Spend a few minutes a couple of time daily killing any adults you see running around. I have won this battle only once, and have lost it a couple of times. I would recommend isolating some dermestids for a new colony if you no not see results in a few days.

3. I would recommend you elimintae the colony by starting new ones - the ham beetles eat dermestids!

Extra reading from archives:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/IndustryArticles/04/a/0419FE7872.html

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/IndustryArticles/04/l/048D9463C8.html

4. jonscut

jonscut Member

Thanks for the input. I already separated about 1000 bugs prior to posting my original question. I was hoping to get rid of them without having to start my colony over. Unfortunately the ham beetle seem more resilient than the dermestids. They haven't become a problem yet and I have nothing but skulls with dry meat in my tank so that may kill some of the larva off (lack of moist food)also ham beetles eat their own larva so maybe I might beat them still. It makes me have to rethink my lid on my tank though do to the fact I believe they came in from outside, and aren't something I introduced to my colony. I take care to freeze everthing I can prior to placing it in my tank, and things I can't freeze (due to size) I immerse in water for a few days before placing it in my tank. Oh well I guess time will tell on this one.

5. Fred Heydorn

Fred Heydorn New Member

Do you know of the Pheromone trap’s people are talking about?? Would love to buy some of them. This morning I did some killing when I took out the cleaned skulls. I really don’t know what bad is or what I have is bad?? I take out cleaned skull I bang in a bucket and I will have maybe 10-15 of the ham beetles is that bad or not? Input on any of my questions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED PLEASE!!! Thanks everyone!

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You can find them online if you look for them.

7. Fred Heydorn

Fred Heydorn New Member

I’ve looked all I find is Jap beetle traps or for in bee hives. I think both of those would kill my babies and don’t want that lol. I’m sorry to keep asking but if you or anyone have a link PLEASSSSS post! Thanks everyone!!

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member