1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

skull whitening products by mckenzie

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by srholmes30, Oct 1, 2008.

1. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Hi everyone not sure if I missed this topic if so sorry.Anyway looking for some info on mckenzies.Skull whitening bleaching powder,40 volume peroxide.If anyone has had great results thanks.
    Scott.

2. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

You can go to your local beauty company and get basic white and 40 volume as well. Same thing as what you are talking about. Mix together and let sit for a few days.

Or get Baquacil Oxidizer (swimming pool product) 26% straight peroxide. Great stuff.

3. ReporterSr

ReporterSr If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

Baquacil Oxidizer is about $12 a gallon (in Massachusetts) and I found it a cheaper route to go than Clairol's Basic White and 40 volume peroxide from beauty supply places. 40 volume is 12% peroxide. BO is more than twice that and very, very effective.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Same here. Find a local Sally's Beauty supply place and buy a quart of 40 Volume (not cream) and a container of Basic White. You save on cost and shipping both. It's the same stuff. I bought a container of Basic White over a year ago and I'm still using the same one. I probably will still buy the 40 Vol from time to time but I have pretty much shifted completely to the BO.

Thanks Bonez :)

5. Huntr Pat

Huntr Pat New Member

Thanks for the tip.(B0)

6. ejstealth

ejstealth New Member

What ratio are you guys mixing the 40 volume and basic white. I mixed to a paste and applied to skulls and no whitening occurred. Any help would be great. Thanks.

7. eurosbyRT

eurosbyRT Skull Designs

mix it like pancake batter, brush it on and I wrap it up with saran wrap and set it aside for a couple of days, then unwrap it and set out in the sunlight, when it is dry flake off the paste and save it then wash off the rest and set it out in the sun again to dry, on most animals I put a wire tie around the nose to keep the bones tight.

8. Sea Wolf

I use a good shot of peroxide and then add4 or 5 teaspoons of the powder to start with. I stir it around with the brush for a while and the peroxide foams and makes it thicker. Sometimes I add a little more powder, sometimes not. Thick, goopy batter as above. Just barely thick enough to not run. It takes a minute or so for it to thicken up. I don't even wrap a lot of things and they are usually white in a few hours.

9. justinj

justinj Member

skull designs, what is the reason you let it dry before rinsing? I wrap in small clear garbage bags (easier than saran wrap), throw em on the roof on hot days or use a space heater. Then unwrap and rinse and they go straight under a halogen light.

10. Blue Tick

Blue Tick New Member

Looks like some good info here....

11. eurosbyRT

eurosbyRT Skull Designs

So I can flake it off back into a container to save it for next time

12. justinj

justinj Member

Ahh, I understand now.

13. not trying to rain on your parade, but I gave up on paste a couple of years ago, better whitening with liquid

14. eurosbyRT

eurosbyRT Skull Designs

I usually soak them to now, I only paste occasionally on deer and elk

15. justinj

justinj Member

If i have a lot of bears in or something I will get BO

16. brohnson

brohnson New Member

so if you are using the Baquacil Oxidizer do you still mix it with the basic white or do you just use it straight, also where can you buy that stuff cheap at? Thanks

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Why would you suggest for a beginner to not use the cream when it does not run as bad as the liquid, hence making it easier to use and does the same job??? All I use is the cream and it works better in my opinion.......BUT just because I like it better does not mean I would tell somebody to not use the liquid.

That is not giving sound advice to a beginner, it is giving advice based on opinion over fact and that is a bad habit.

18. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I had readsome place to put skullin an area where it could heat up to around 130-145º it would white the skulls better. Anybody try this before doing my first skull of a small buck, the small bone of nose had come off. I don't know if it got to hot or if the nose had been damaged before i got it.

19. Sea Wolf

Not bad advise at all when I have had issues with the other chemicals in the cream causing problems. The oils and waxes (look it up) added to it that make it thick do not need to be slathered on your skull. Fine for hair conditioners, not for bone. Used properly, liquid peroxide and the Basic White does not run. As the others stated the Basic White can be used even with BO and I have done that as well. The OP specically asked about "McKenzies Skull whitening bleaching powder and 40 volume peroxide". The substitute would be exactly what was suggested.