1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tumbling Driftwood

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Gobblingfever, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

I figured a good place for this category. Driftwood is habitat. I have some driftwood I collected from some lakes in the area. I want to clean them up and tumble. What is good method? Drum, sand, borax and tumble? How long if this the right way.

2. Sikk

Sikk Member

I have never tumbled my own , but the cedar I purchase always has pea gravel stuck in the cracks from tumbling. paul

3. the driftwood guys in texas use a tumbler about the size of a car. pea gravel is the tumbling mix

4. I have been wondering about just putting some in a plastic drum with pea gravel and letting roll around in the back of my truck.

5. some use sand blasters

6. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

I was wondering if a 55 drum like a bird tumbler would do the trick?

7. what's th benifit in tumbling wood? :)

8. to clean and polish the finnish . that makes it more useable. mark c

9. Cedar DAN

Cedar DAN New Member

Do think I could use my power washer?

10. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Try a concrete mixer with sand and water.

11. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I use s pressure washer on a lot of pieces of driftwood. I also use it on pieces of would that have some nice character and has dry rot or termite damage. It’ll blow out the rotted or softer wood.

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Just buy it already polished and clean...way less stress! I get it at taxidermy shows for $6-8 per piece.

rigbobby likes this.