1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Building a mountain

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Michael Shipman, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Michael Shipman

Michael Shipman Killen Merriams in SD

Here's a big rock I worked on a couples weeks ago. I had six full days in it with one helper. This guy has the grand slam in N American Wild Sheep. And I know it's out of context but he wanted to add the Chamois and Thar just to save space on his other walls. The animals were already mounted so I was limited. I definitely would have did it different if I mounted the sheep for the rock. I started off framing for each animal and figuring out were my access hole would be. And then covered with wire and then rock mache.

The pictures are a little dark. It has allot or moss and highlight you can't see in the pictures. I'm going back in a few days to add snow to the Tahr and Chamios. And also on the left side I am going to add frozen water coming down the crevice with some icicles.

2. Michael Shipman

more

3. Michael Shipman

more

4. Michael Shipman

5. Michael Shipman

6. mate, that is exellent to me..

7. OregonOutdoordude

OregonOutdoordude New Member

Nice rock! I just hope you have a big garage door LOL HAHAHAHAAHHAAHAH.... Add some grass and I think it will look even better.

8. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

I am assuming he did this at the guys house. ???

9. Pretty Nice. Josh

10. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Shipman, don't want to dump on your tutorial,
    I've made MANY Mountains some took 6 weeks and three guys to do a 360 on one 100 by 60 foot room 24 feet high.
    I see you locked it permanently into those walls. Unless you removed ALL the wiring and outlets, and I see a lot of stuff behind those rock frames,or disconnected them from the fuse box your asking for trouble a few years from now. Moisture build up behind that wall in that dead air area with no ventilation is going to come back and bite you.
    Mold ??? It looks like a basement so you even stepping on a more slipperry slope.
    I could be wrong but if anyone gets into a project like this COVER YOUR BUTT.
    Wiring gets old, outlet go bad, Just being safe ,,,not knocking your work just some things to look at more closely.

11. Henry J.

Henry J. New Member

It looks nice but it's not a tutorial . nice beginnig & end no middle ! some more details would be nice.

12. Michael Shipman

* you have made some good points. It's no a basement though it's in the guys office/ trophy room. You can't see it from the ground but behind the Thar Chamois and Desert Bighorn it is open. He has two ceiling fans in the room run 24/7. This should help some with ventilation.
    I should have took more in between pictures but I kinda got caught up in the work. If you've built small rocks it's not allot different just allot bigger.

13. fougair

fougair New Member

what did you use for all the rock material and how did you apply it? looks great!

14. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Personally I think QUIK Rock is the only way to go for the best looking rock bases and mountains and mold is not a issue ever with it. I love it but it is pricey. http://www.wildernessworldwide.com/ Great looking mounts mshipman

15. Michael Shipman

fougair I use my own recipe plaster, vermiculite, cellulose and dextrin.
    Here's a few pictures of the finished piece

16. Michael Shipman

17. looks like a lot of work but amazing!

18. droptine2

droptine2 New Member

Thats cool

19. top job mate bloody top job......very nice.i like the middle top one

20. disabled

disabled Active Member

very nice alot of hard work in it hope you client enjoys the time you put in john