1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

winter casting... too cold?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by meghan, Dec 18, 2006.

1. meghan

meghan New Member

I have been embedding items in small castings of 1.5 inches x 1.5 inches and approx. 1/4 inch thick. I am using castin' crafts resin. Using the same proportions I didn't have any trouble in the summer but now that it is winter and cold (working in a garage without much heating) I am afraid the resin might not cure. Will it just take longer, or am I hooped?

Thanks for you help.

2. newbirdman

newbirdman New Member

You just have to use more hardner . If your using the same amount of hardner that you do during the summer , it will take much much longer to cure . I just made some fish blanks outside and were it normally takes 10 minutes for the resin to start to cure , I had to wait 1/2 hour . But I used double the amount of hardner . Rick

3. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    When I was molding/casting in Alaska, I used a heat lamp mounted over the work area. That and an increase in the hardener percentage, generally worked!

jerry

4. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

Another thing that helps a ton is if you can store your resins and even molds indoors, then take them into the cold to make your castings. It will still take longer to cure, but the resin won't be too thick and will have kind of a jumpstart to cure.

5. meghan

meghan New Member

Great thanks for the feedback. As long as I am patient it won't be a gooey mess!
    Next time I do them I will add more catalyst to compensate and try to keep my ingredients warm.

Also,
    I have found that the resin deteriorates the plastic mold I am using (its not specifically for resin) any suggestions for release agents or something that might curb this reaction?
    Thanks for all of your help.
    Meghan

6. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

need more info on that one- what type of plastic mold and what type of resin? usually if this is a problem, you would use some type of barrier coat as part of the release system. Some barrier coats have color and attach to the casting as your base color- the resin never touches the mold. Other things that can work as a barrier coat, but not adhere or add color, are PVA or acrylic. Dave

7. Roadkill

Roadkill Jackalopes are Real !!!!!!!!!!!!

You can use a wax as a release agent to keep the resin from eating the mold. You may want to consider making a new mold out of Urethane rubber or silicon.
    You could do it pretty easy. Just a little time and you could get away from it.

8. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

Cast 'n Craft will react to moisture in the air. This might be more of a problem than the temp. That's probably why the heat lamp idea works. You can get some interesting effects with really high humidity!