1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

startin' already

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by troy, Oct 6, 2008.

1. troy

troy Member

PA
    Just got my first whitetail of the year in yesterday. Archery season just opened here on Saturday so I was happy to get one in right away cuz I'm a little worried about how many I'll get with the economy the way it is. Anyway, my gladness turned to madness when I saw the brisket cut up into the neck and relief cuts in the shoulders where they pulled the legs out! I know this is a common gripe but, damn, the first one!! I'm trying to focus on "at least I got one in" but talk about a let down. It was like kissin' your sister. ;D I don't know what the rest of you do, but I took a big deep breath, shook my head and said... startin' already.

2. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

So you take a deep breath, shake your head and say "startin' already" before you kiss yer sister?
    Does that make it any better? ;D

Charge extra for the repairs. Work is money.

3. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Just found out today because of a quirk in the calender our season opens earlier & end later than normal. 8 weeks of rifle season. Have 2 bear & an Elk from retail customers so far. I believe the economy isnt going to help though.

4. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

our bow season here opened up sept. 15th, i just got my first one for this year in tonight, i usually dont get more than 4 in before novembers 2 week firearm season though, most around here wait to see if they kill something bigger with a gun, then mount accordingly, l was happy however to see it start , Russ

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

Took in a booner this morning, 6th of our season. First day of season, I didn't see a wt, but took in a couple elk and some bears.

6. Todd K

Todd K New Member

I took in three this past weekend. Just got done salting them. I hope this is a good sign of whats ahead. Last year, I dont think I got any heads in till the end of October.

7. You guys must have a lot of late starting seasons. We took our first elk in about August 20th and shortly after came the archery deer. We're up to about 25 antelope, 20 elk, a dozen deer, and a handful of moose, sheep, buffalo, and goats. Elk season has been slow but they keep trickling in. Rifle deer starts on the 18th , then there will be no rest until December. Hope you all get the work you need.

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

So far took in 3 antelope, 2 Axis, 5 Whitetail, 1 Bobcat, 1 Diamond Back & one European. That's not bad at all for me considering I ussually am not getting work until November :)

9. No deer yet! :( Have one coming though ;D 3 fish in the last week. One 33 lbs ;D Most of my deer come in Nov. I hope the Ky boys come thru! :-\

10. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

I have taken in so far two whitetail a fox and three antelope.

11. cwt

cwt Active Member

took in one antelope and one whitetail had a call about a coyote but thats it thank god didnt really feel like dealin with it. but it seems we are a little ahead this year from last year but dont expect to see another until november is the way it usually goes

12. jorgy

jorgy Member

We have a youth season before the archery season. That has been very good to me the past few years, and bad for archery hunters. Those kids are putting the smack down on some dandy bucks.

Took in two urban hunt archery bucks yesterday as well.

Think I have 5 in so far, as well as an elk, 2-carribou, and a moose. I don't see any of my regular clients cutting back on hunts. Several are gone right on trips rightr now.

I'm looking to start a support group. I have a month old new baby bullwhacker that put the squash on the elk hunting this year.

13. bigrubs07

bigrubs07 October 26,2007 148 gross P/Y points, 230lbs FD

7 bears 3 fish in sept. nata in oct.

14. DILLWEED

DILLWEED www.burkholderswildlifestudio.com

Three elk and a whitetail so far

15. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

4 bear, 9 deer, 1 elk, so far. have two more deer coming in tomorrow.. So far the start of our season here hasnt been too bad.. Specially since I was closed the last 5 days (we took off for a hunt) got alot of calls while I was gone.. Now looks like they are all starting to coming in.
    Im happy :) I have quite a few clients leaving for out of state hunts this week and next.., so hopefully they will do well :) The economy hasnt slowed hunters down too much I dont think..If anything I think they are tending to stay out longer.. Insteadof a quick 3 day hunt here and a 4 day there they seem to be staying a week here and a week there.. I guess they figure if they are gonna spend the gas money might as well stay longer?
    We leave for Colorado in about a week... I will be closed 11 days straight.. Most my clients already know so Im not too concerned. They have been calling and quizzing me on how to properly store their stuff til I get back if they cant get it in before I leave ... So far this yearis looking pretty good.. knock on wood

16. 9 whitetails, 2 fallow, 6 axis, 3 Texas dall, 2 aoudad, 1 corsican, 1 springbok, 2 whitetail europeans in the last month

17. RoyalOaksRanch

Ohhhh you got quite the variety there Rooster :) Wish mine was more diverse..

18. Did a whitetail and an aoudad yesterday. Planned on Doing a wall ped sika and a whitetail today but the sika took longer than i expected. So tommorow its a whitetail and either a blackbuck or another whitetail.... depends on my mood lol. Its nice to not always work on the same critters. I like mounting big mature south Texas whitetail the most tho. Ones I get to go crazy with clay work on. Young hill country deer are boring. Not enough skin to get to add any artistic touch to them. I got in a 163" 6 1/2 year old south Texas buck last week. Hair is so short its like velvet. Going to put him on a Coombs wall ped and can't wait to do him. Its only 13 inches wide the hunter nicknamed him "Taco". I can already tell he is going to get bumped up just because I want to do him, He is also a Los Cazadores contest deer so I have to have him done for the big banquet also.

19. RoyalOaksRanch

The velvet hair buck is like what I get here.. Unless its from an out of state hunt LOL.. You definetly get to see alot of detail which makes them alot of fun. Though sometimes I curse them cuz 1/4 in long hair isnt helpful in hiding sins LOL...

20. jorgy

jorgy Member

and a partridge in a pear tree....