1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ducks of the year...Year 2008

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jsbirds, Oct 7, 2008.

1. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    Re: ducks of the year...

Well... the duck season is winding down. I had a friend out with me today to get into the Surfs. He had never shot one. He got to shoot a full seven bird Oregon limit, so he was happy. He shot all drakes too! The taxidermist didn't quite complete the full limit. I fell one short, but shot two hens today to get my mounter hen. I waited until the end of the season to shoot any hens. I got one young and one dandy adult hen with a "ghost" white patch on the back of her head. She is exactly what I wanted. I also shot another nice Goldeneye drake. It was a good final salt water hunt for the season. I will still try to get out for some local ducks before the very end, but if I don't I am happy with this as an ending note...oh...wait...there is still the third phase of the permit zone goose season...hehehe...

[​IMG]

2. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon

Different angle... same bird pile...

[​IMG]

3. Sea Duck

Sea Duck New Member

Mike, I wasn't cold, just a little numb!

Jeremy, I'm sorry did you say something? :p Remind me next year and I'll see what I can do for you.

Dan

4. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

:D :D :D No Dan im messin with you.... Ive got a perosnel goal to get me one myself since I KNOW there here in OR when there full plummed during the hunting season.

5. BMan40

BMan40 New Member

Kind of rare for CA maybe not other parts of the country
    Thes three came into the decoys right at shoot time and none left
    Going to mount a pair

[​IMG]

6. Jesse Carr

Jesse Carr Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

heres a quick mornin first two that came in the rest of the flocks were to big to land in our little spread

7. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon

Ok. I did it again. This time the birds are prime...

[​IMG]

8. Sea Duck

Sea Duck New Member

The Kodiak duck season just ended :mad:, a moment of silence please :'(

9. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon

Bummer Sea Duck........ Ok. The moment of silence is over guys. We need a few more posts before its all over. Anybody got anything new?

10. jeremy

Hey Pat as Alexm would say nice pile of lawn darts. Rumor has it I may get onre more trip tommorrow after all, wife had to cancel her trip out of town due to snow ::) ;D ;D ;D

11. jeremy

UNCLE!!! Its over :'( but at least I didnt go out sucking my thumb and crying in the corner :D I know these are hardley picture worthy but its better then getting Skunked! ;D

Cant wait for next year.... but ill be glad to get caught up on my sleep and my personel projects ;)

[​IMG]

12. RDA

RDA Active Member

[​IMG]

well,,,, they are just rriving in force round here- and its closing day ::) ::) :'( :'( ;D
    there were cacklers lessers and some blubills on his tiny pond...

13. jeremy

The key word is closing day not closed day, you still got some day light....get off the taxi net and go shoot some :D :D :D Thats old Murphy at work again :mad:

14. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Here are my last two hunts of the year. The 8 geese are part of 22 killed. Not bad considering another group of hunters staying at the lodge shot 1 with the same amount of hunters. The ducks are from thur. One word of caution.....See the leather strap? Don't try to hang two cinnamon teal from their feet with this strap. They are rare ducks for us and my buddy shot 2 the day before this hunt. By the time they got home in the evening he realized that both ducks had fallen out while his dad carried the strap to the truck. Needless to say he was unhappy, real unhappy. We looked for them the next morning hoping they would still be okay to mount as it was 29 deg. when we went out the following morning. Well the only way we can mount them now is to make a coyote terd look like a teal. Maybe next year. Enjoy the pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. jeremy

Sweet take, Steve. LOVE the Eagle heads....wish we had em here. Love the Christmas ducks. Great mixed bag my friend ;) Bummer on the Cinneys....but if you fleshed those Yotie terds well, washed them them Dawn and soaked them a bit in White gas they might turn out :D RDA claims that white gas works wonders :D :D :D :D

16. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

wouldn't have one of those straps if i owned the company that made them seen alot of people destroy some excellent trophies with them. great mixed bag though, and definately too bad about the cinni's

17. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Yeah Jeremy, the blues are cool. Those geese were killed over a spread of 70 dozen. I think I will stick to my 2doz. duck spreads with maybe one goose trip per year. It's alot of work. I started shooting at the blues because they were easier to pick out in a flock of 50 and put my bead on them. Mark, that strap now carries dinner by the neck and the trophies get carried by hand. I don't have a strap like that but my buddy likes the high dollar stuff like the belgium made $10k shotgun he is going to buy to go with all of his filson upland game gear. By the way, he is not married and has no kids.

18. DomC

DomC New Member

Well went out Friday for So. Nevada last duck hunt. Was raining all day. Water on Lake was high and tons of birds around. But only shot 3 times. Birds just would come in. So I jumped in water and waded after them. Hit a pintail and a gadwall drakes.. but both ended up MIA. I guess I'll never end up with that drake pintail. Looked for an hour for both, and nothing. Weeds just to thick. Went back to boat and waited some more then had about 40 geese fly over me about 50 yrds up. Didn't feel comfortable so didn't shoot. So went home empty hanged and wet and rusty gun.
    Went out today for some chukars and ended up with 5, so it made up for Friday.

19. mantis

mantis New Member

sat. was a slow duck hunt with only one buffie hen. sunday was a blast went out with 11 guys total and got 41 geese by 10 am.this was an awesome year for me and i shot more birds last year. This year i managed to put several beautiful birds in the freezer to keep me busy till next year and also got my first ever harlequin which is going to be done by a professional ;D :-\(maybe i will try my second one if i ever get another)

On another note this thread was as much fun as botw and i truly hope we can keep it going next year.

20. Brian

Brian Active Member

we went out with a bang today. we all limited out on brant, 11 ringnecks, 4 drake common mergs,2 mallards, 1 black duck, 1 drake pintail, 7 canada geese with bands, and one hen buffie.