1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ducks of the year...Year 2008

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jsbirds, Oct 7, 2008.

1. DomC

DomC New Member

Re: ducks of the year...

Well here's a pic of my middle son with his first ducks. He never been hunting before and never seem to show intrested in it so I was shocked when he ask for me to take him. So They had a youth season over the weekend. Man so many duck wish I could of shot. But after a full box of shells he ended up with 2 gw teal. So now I'll have to mount them up for him and maybe add a picture of him. I know he's hooked now, he hasn't stopped blow the duck call they gave the kids for the youth hunt. Now I have the 5yrd telling me to take him now; but he'll have to wait until next season.

[​IMG]

2. nswiken

nswiken Well-Known Member

Two drake greenwings? He's a natural. Like shooting a 5X5 whitetail on your first trip out. Congratulations to your son.

3. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

DomC, what gun he using? My 7 year old had a hell of a time holding a remington youth for turkey hunting up so no way am I gonna let him shoot at waterfowl or pheasant.

4. DomC

DomC New Member

Thanks guys. He was useing a Rem 870 youth 20ga. A little big for him, but I just stood behind him and took the recoil for him. Explains the 23 misses. Atleast the ducks decoied nicely.

5. Re: ducks of the year...

season it's almoust over, but there are still a few good hunts to come ;)
    this evening on a nice snow weather
    [​IMG]

6. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oh... Thanks for posting Milo! I forgot about this thread. We shot a handful of geese last weekend and forgot to take pics to brag. We are in our last phase of the permit zone goose season now. I hope to get out a few more times. If I am lucky enough I will hopefully have some pics to post. Anybody else still hunting? Post up those pics!

7. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

I went out on a "scouting mission" today. Somehow the shotgun got involved ::). The girls decided they wanted to go look for geese with Dad today too. This is the "big" kill. :D
    [​IMG]

...and the big pack out ;D...
    [​IMG]

...lots of geese left alone in the spot for tomorrow morning. I'm hoping the real hunting tomorrow goes well.

8. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

nice lab, did he do the retrieving. maybe not a limit of birds but the memories are priceless. my youngest will be 3 1\2 when early teal comes in this year can't wait to take him out for the first time. when we are out driving around he can already spot birds faster than me. beautiful bird, gorgeous girls, great hunt

9. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Thanks Mark! I'm sure proud of them. I haven't actually had them out really hunting yet. Another year or so and they may be ready. The oldest has no trouble ID'ing most waterfowl already. I thought you'd all enjoy the retriever in the group... haha.

10. Re: ducks of the year...

Wat to go Pat, Nice looking bunch you got there...

11. bulldawg

bulldawg Member

Nice pictures Pat...
    Looks like you are trainging them well, scouting, retrieving and packin em out!

Next you will have them doing all your skinning and fleshing! ;D

12. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Pat.... WAY TO GO DAD! Thats what its all about. LOVE taking the kids out also. ;)

13. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Thanks guys. My brother and I got out after them this morning. The little geese didn't show. These two honkers were the only birds to come into the field. The gander attacked one of the sentry DSD honkers as soon as they touched down. He was like a fired up spring gobbler :eek:. He jumped on the back of the decoy and beat the thing with his wings. They hung around for ten minutes after that until legal shooting time. Then I killed them both ;D...
    [​IMG]

14. Anatoliy

Anatoliy Member

WA

nice geese Pat!!!

15. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Only three hunt days left in the goose season here locally. Here's my limit from today...

[​IMG]

16. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Now, that's a nice Deadmount Pat!

17. jsbirds

jsbirds I think I can, I think I can...

Blood should have been cleaned from the feathers better ::)

18. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Thanks Rick... and I agree jsbirds... poor attention to detail on my part. That blood left in the plumage really lowers the quality. It almost looks like I didn't even wash these birds. Too much mud and no grooming of the feathers either. That's what I get for using a shotgun instead of standard taxidermy tools. Oh well. These kinds of mistakes can happen when trying something new. Back to the drawing board I guess ;D.

19. jsbirds

jsbirds I think I can, I think I can...

Nice try though, don't give up ;D

20. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Hey Pat, where can I get that camo strap you have for the ducks?