1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ducks of the year...Year 2008

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jsbirds, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Re: ducks of the year...

Yeah I know I should switch. Tight wad $ when it comes to ammo at times since I do not get out pheasant hunting much. Usually use 3inch 4 shot or 2 shot steel with waterfowl. What ya think I should try with the pheasant for that versatility. Wonder if we will have any ducks left this coming weekend.

2. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Gobbling,
    I only shoot lead at grouse, doves and clays anymore. Once you get used to some fast steel shot, you will just mess with your lead on the longer shots by going back and forth from lead and steel. I use #2 or 3 steel on all ducks and pheasants. I will sometimes use BB on ducks if I'm shooting geese at the same time. 1 1/8 oz of #2 at 1450 to 1550fps will take care of pheasants out to 50yds, sometimes further if you're lucky. Don't use any more choke than modified, improved modified if you know they will be flushing wild. Improved cylinder works fine for most steel shot work on pheasants. These are just my recommendations, others may have different advise, so experiment some on paper before you go out. Good luck. Oh, and yes the Mallards will be coming down for a little while until everything is frozen or the stubble is buried in snow.

3. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

There's still ducks still around. You just have to find a lake that has open water and birds...Follow them out at evening to see what field they are feeding in and set up the next day. Money!

4. Re: ducks of the year...

[​IMG]
    seasons finally looking better first limit of the year

5. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

Thanks guys to scheels I go tonight and HOPEFULLY get out this weekend.

6. Re: ducks of the year...

it's been pouring non stop for almost a week now and things are really starting to flood but I managed to scratch out 5 this morning after my Chemistry class.

[​IMG]

heres some flood pics I took on the way to class

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

notice the tops of the fence posts barely sticking out of the water in what was a cow pasture

[​IMG]

7. Tom M.

Tom M. Member

Sea duck hunted again this year with Captain Adam Smiith of Boston Mass. Great time... Shot White wing scotters, Surfs scotters, Common Eiders, Green wing teal, black ducks, old squaws. Another great hunt. Captain Adam works hard to get you prime birds wrapped and packed for the trip home. Just a great guy. His trips includes all your shells and lunch. The hotel includes breakfast and dinner.
    To contact Captain Adam Smith 978-412-9581 If you book 5 hunters you go free. I personally split the cost with my hunters but the option is yours.

8. kar6man

kar6man New Member

Killed 3 limits worth at Klamath last week. Lost about another limit or so into the Tule Jungle.

WigeonWacker, where have you been hunting? I live in Redding as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    14 Gadwall that day.

9. Re: ducks of the year...

cody, im hunting around fresno county at several of my secret spots ;) went out and killed 3 more woodies today.
    looks like klamath is holding as many gadwall as down here
    by the way are you running a mud motor on that rig?? if not thanks for the new spot ;D ;D
    just kidding i dont think were even gonna be up there before freeze up :-[

10. kar6man

kar6man New Member

yep. 29 HP electronic fuel injected Kawasaki Mud Buddy.
    [​IMG]

11. jsbirds

jsbirds I think I can, I think I can...

I would just like to say I hate all of you successful duck hunters ;D. I have gone out eight times this year and not even had a duck come in close.

12. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon

A fun morning. I love divers...

[​IMG]

13. Re: ducks of the year...

NWWINGS
    send some of those drakes down my way, nothing but hens here in the valley! :-[

14. wcmetal

wcmetal New Member

well we had a pretty bad day with one teal until the ruddy swam by. we killed 5 out of 6 my dad lost one in the weeds

15. Brian

Brian Active Member

anybody have a nice drake ruddy duck for gift.

16. Re: ducks of the year...

ill try and get you one next time i hunt the refuge brian ;)

17. Brian

Brian Active Member

that would be great. if you ever need a sea duck let me know.

18. vincer

vincer New Member

A good day of mallared hunting.The cans are starting to arrive.

19. Re: ducks of the year...

heres some

[​IMG]

20. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Early Teal. Bradys first hunt. First flock was 200+ birds. One shot and one, dropped my four.
    [​IMG]

Trip to hunt with friends in Nebraska.
    [​IMG]

Little woodie/gad action
    [​IMG]

Mallards, gads, widg, teal
    [​IMG]

Friends sons first hunt. After he calmed down, he got 5 ducks with 5 shots.
    [​IMG]

2.5 months left. Hope to get in about 40 more hunts. Heading to Mass and Mazatlan to hunt with friends and get some specimens to add to the my trophy room. Wife cant wait..yeah. Looking to do amount with lobster trap with a pile of birds on it. Scoter,eiders,brant, etc.