1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

RECIPROCATING SAW BLADES

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DRW, Oct 7, 2008.

1. DRW

DRW New Member

how many of you use a reciprocating saw to cut the skull plate off of deer or do you use a hand bone saw and what kind of blade do you use 6,10,16 tpi (tooth pre inch) . i just go thru a lot blades. i guess what i am asking what tooth cuts the best and what brand, or does a bone saw work the best.

thanks

2. Kittrell Hill

Kittrell Hill 9 Beard Merriam 2008 Meade Co SD

I use a dewalt general ruff in blade made for cutting wood and nails. Works good I'll have to change it by the end of deer season but thats about 160 skulls cut ;)

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I run a "saw tooth" blade in my Milwaukee reciprocating saw. Between cutting off 150 plus skulls a year plus numerous jaw sets & trimming I probably go through 10 blades a year. & could probably buy a more expensive blade (these are $5 a pop) but these work better than all the others I have tried.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. I use the same blade as michael p. I think it is made by Black and Decker and is made for pruning trees.

5. I buy one called "The Axe", I think Milwaulkee makes it.

6. pureluck

pureluck Member

MO
    I use the same one as michael p. has pictured I think they are called the "ugly blade" for wood and pruning and one blade last for about 30 skull plates. I think they are made by Skil and available in the taxidermy aisle at wally world for about 3.86 each

7. michaelf

michaelf New Member

Same as Michael P.

8. DRW

DRW New Member

thanks all for your time. i will be buying one of the pruning ones today.

9. the AXE!! great blade

10. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

x2

11. bowhntr

bowhntr New Member

I will be using a reciprocating saw this year. Up until now its been the old bone saw. I have a question along these same lines, when you are cutting the skull plate do you have a jig made to hold the head stationary while you cut or just hold the horns or skull in one hand and the saw in the other.
    Thanks

12. your walmart has a taxidermy aisle?!!!!

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Doesn't everybody's ???

If it's just one I hold it, if it's a bunch I get someone to hold it for me.

14. Boxie

Boxie New Member

Hey, what works pretty good is get a cinderblock and stick the deer's nose in on of the holes. Works for me everytime!

Boxie

15. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Great idea Boxie, I'll have to try that.
    Ralph

16. whitetail94

whitetail94 New Member

I haven't cut enough yet so I still do it the hard way, with a hand saw. I think that I'm about to get a reciprocating saw though. Boxie that's a great idea about the ciderblock.