1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dan Rinharts School of Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Training' started by Coonhunter08, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Bighunter4x4

Bighunter4x4 Member

Pepperbd has it right. It could not be said better. I would also say that if I did not go to his training then I for sure wouldnt be here. When we were in class we were told to NOT go to this forum because there is so much bad information. Well after witnessing in class what we saw I was getting home and running here to find out what was so BAD..............Best thing I ever did.

2. Lol... Are you serious... That guy is like 60 something and is funny as hell. He can't help it that his mounts look like crap he's old. And his methods are as old as he is. But come on... Is it really that bad?...lol

3. When I went to Dennis' school he did have a session on setting eyes. I enjoyed the classes, learned alot and progressed from there through seminars, videos, conventions, breakthrough, taxidermy today and this site. What do I know though, I am old at 62 years old. LOL

4. sawtooth taxi

sawtooth taxi New Member

As an example, We learned that the proper method for doing deer ears was to leave the cartilage in, insert a liner and use bondo for the adhesive. Also learned that hide paste wasn't necessary because once the hide is dry, it retains its shape. If you use the preset eye forms that they want you to use, make sure that the pupils aren't in like a cats. I had to go through at least 10 forms before I found one that was OK. You can also learn the sack body method of doing a fish with one eye. LOL. The best part was they guys I met. I thought I learned something until I got out and found out the right way to do things. Buy a video or do some one on one. JMO

5. yeah the one fish eye was great remember what u paid for the one fish eye i do i could have bought a pair at those prices.

6. duff83

duff83 what i have in my heart, ill take to my grave

i sure hope they werent dans fish eyes... what a crock those are... i wouldnt let him pay ME to use them... i wouldnt use them if they where the only eyes available... they are so so so far from correct its sick.

7. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

its a good quick start. there is obviously a ton more to learn but if you honestly expect to go to a school and learn all there is to know in a 1 week period your crazy from the start. it could be better, like half as many people. i went there and had fun, but i wouldn't call it anything more than a quick learning setting. i agree with alot of you that it is very assembly line like.

Kris

8. OldNo.7

OldNo.7 New Member

I go to school there in a week, is that pretty much a big mistake?

9. sawtooth taxi

sawtooth taxi New Member

OldNo.7, I geuss it depends what you know. I signed up for the whole class when I went. It was supposed to be taught by a couple of champion taxidermists. It wasn't. They cancelled at the last minute. Unfortunately I couldn't. The instructors were great people but were a little behind the times and definitely production work. I took out a $20,000 loan to go. I wish I would have known about this site before I had signed up. If I would have, I wouldn't have gone there. I would have taken the money and bought practice capes and videos then taken a one on one course.I can't say I didn't learn anything but there are a lot better ways to spend your money. JMO I hear there are different instructors there, so maybe it has changed. I went 5 years ago

10. duff83

duff83 what i have in my heart, ill take to my grave

i would say yes... for the money, you could get so much more from some one else...

11. If your primary objective in takeing a class in taxidermy, is improve the quality of deer heads , you should contact Bill Yox for some one on one instruction.Bill,(i asume for political reasons, being moderator for this forum) doesn't push for work here.I personaly spent a couple days with Bill,...better ears,eye modeling ,nostril detail,hair patterns,you name it. It's well worth a call/pm to ask. Mountain Ed