1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

$60 squirrel mount!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jaz, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Jaz

Jaz New Member

I haven't posted on here for awhile, but I had to share my experience today.
    Someone asked me how much I charge to mount a squirrel. I told him $350. His face was priceless, then he said, "I had a guy mount one for me last year for $60. It looks good,too!"
    The taxidermist he used is a very busy hacksidermist, but I figured even he would charge more than that.
    I haven't done any customer squirrel mounts , yet. But to be honest I really don't want to. And if I do I want to do a $350 job on it, not just borax it and stuff it will excelsior and staple it to a board.
    I realize there is room in the industry for all "levels" of work ,but $60? That's insulting to the whole industry!
    Thanks for letting me vent!
    God bless,'
    Eric

2. Damn, even I charge at least $150..... but I dont have a big customer base yet and squirrels are easy!

3. BWS

BWS New Member

Better that than the guy who brought me in a bobcat to remount....the other guy charged him $80 ::)

4. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I'll mount them all day long for $175 a squirrel here in Cullman, AL! ;D

5. Xiahou

Xiahou Rocky 6/1/05 - 6/5/08

From a taxidermist point of view. Get what you can out of it.

From a customer point of view I surely wouldn't go with the 60 but then again seeing for example 2 perfectly competent taxi's say they would do it for 1/2 or less 350 is almost an insult to them.

6. BWS

BWS New Member

i took a tree-rat in a couple days ago...

i get $300

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

OMG, he took a big loss on that one.

8. alfonso27

alfonso27 New Member

Sad but true the average price for squirrels on e-bay is under $60

9. thatguyonline

thatguyonline winnie the pooh

WI
    Sounds like geewhiz has been at it again.

10. Yes, very true. But, then again, a deer shoulder mount sells on eBay for about $50 - $80 as well. But people are still paying an average of $600 to us to mount them..... go figure! ;)

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That may be true, but what is the avg. quality on eBay? I have only mounted one squirrel, and I sold it on eBay for nearly 300.00.

12. hillbillyhounds5

hillbillyhounds5 New Member

I never used dry preserve is ok for squirels or should i tan it.Just wondering what everyone else does.

13. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Dry preserve is OK for anything..........It's all about prefrence. Granted a tanned skin SHOULD last much much longer.

14. Lenny

Lenny New Member

Jaz, I don't think you will ever mount a squirrel for that price. Your proud of your work.

15. Jaz

Jaz New Member

Lenny,
    That's quite alright with me.

16. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

LOL Lenny someone one here awhile back said they raised their squirrel price to something outragous like $450 because they hated doing them and still got 4-5 in that year so this year they were going to be $600 LOL

17. mitchson1

mitchson1 New Member

well was the guy a begginer or sumthin? cuz i do squirrels for ppl and i used to charge 50. then 100, and now im at 140. but im just a begginer so i dont charge whaat you pros charge