1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Squirrel mouts. Why cost more than $ 65 ?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by GeeWhiz, Oct 14, 2008.

1. I read a post that said some people charge $150 or 300!!!! ??? ??? Why so much? I mount a squireel in 30 minutes, and I charge $ 50 with a log for the wall. I use salt and I flesh the whole face, put borax on skin wrap a bodey and mount to the log. takes me only 5 dolars in material and 30 minutes of my time. And yes, I eat the meat so thers a free meal for family. I know I am cheap at $50, but why over $65?

Gary

2. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I would love to see a picture of your squirrel compared to a high quality squirrel. It takes me almost as long to mount a squirrel as it does a deer head. If you feel like doing them for nothing then by all means go for it. I personally prefer to do quality work and get payed for it.

Todd B

3. BWS

BWS New Member

So Gary.....

Your trying to say that if a customer walked in and offered to pay you $300 for a squirrel, you would turn them down and say "no thanks, i'll just do it for $50" ?

And Todd...yup, i can get a deer done faster than a squirrel

4. Holy toledo it takes me an hour just to skin a squirrel, let alone fleshing, form prepping, and mounting. You must have some mad squirrel mounting skills.

5. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

This has got to be bullsh*t. If it is not, I would love to see a picture of your work.

6. I have only took 5 picture of my squirrels. I have 4 more pictures to go on my camera. I will get it developed and put on a CD and try to post them on here if I can figure how to do.

Gary

7. Why would it be Bull crap. Squirrels are too easy. I only mount them so I have a system that works for me. I have mounted a possum before, but that took me 3 hours.

8. mislynx

mislynx Member

B S on 30 minutes. and if you have to ask why more then you $65 then you need more help then we can give you

9. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Skinning, fleshing,washing,mounting,wrapping body,grooming 30 min.? Come on

10. mislynx, you're pretty. Okay maybe not exactly 30 minutes, but under 45 for sure.

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

LMAO Post a pic. I want to see the "quality" of your 30 min squirrel.

12. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

OK add one to the I eat the meat I skin out list....right...if a customer brings you a tree rat you skin, mount, and eat it...

13. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

Lets see the pics!! I got the popcorn and beer ready!!

14. I'm with Codi on this one, it take me about 45 minutes to an hour to properly skin outy a squirrel. At least one that I would dare use for a customer. No matter how good you are, I dont see it possible to take a squirrel, or any animal for that matter, from whole critter to finish mount under an hour, and no way the quality for a customer and not making your own form.

I am newer to the commercial taxidermy scene, and wouldnt do a squirrel for under $150, and I am one of the cheapest people I have found. I will put time and materials that cost that much alone. $65? Your time much not be worth that much.

And I am curous to see the 30 minute squirrel.

15. John 1

John 1 New Member

I get 1.5 million on a squirrel!! I fig if there is a sugardaddy out there that wants to see what a 1.5 million dollar squirrel looks like ill do it for him! Yes it is on my brochure at that price.

16. RDA

RDA Active Member

Cheezwhiz,,,, wow is all I can say- yu should be doing wholesale for Elzey!!!! 45 minutes for a mounted squirrel and those delicious back straps!!!! YYEEEEHAWWWW!! ::) ::) ::) You can be my new HERO!!! ;D ;D

17. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Why charge more you ask. So you can get a steak and throw the tree rat carcass in the trash. Maybe pay a bill or two too.
    GOOD GRIEF!

18. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

LMAO, all you need is that first one ;)

I charge 350. But according to my brochure, which I just found a typo on AFTER proofing it 3 times, LOL, I charge 530. That's ok ;) I don't get any calls at 350, I'm sure I won't at 530, LOL, again that's ok, I hate tree rats - too tiny.

19. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

Ive done tons of squirrels .. always considered myself darned fast at them. I can do one completely in 1 1/2 hours, on a commercial form. I can just about see someone yanking the skin off.. throwing it in borax.. and slapping it on a commercial form in 30 minutes. But wrapping a form on top of all that?!

If you're doing squirrels cheap to help people out, that's great .. but most of us have to make money. I get $175 for a squirrel now.

Are you turning the ears on your squirrels and filling them with apoxie? Are the toes skinned all the way down and filled? Do you clean the teeth and put them back in the mount?

These are the things that will likely separate a $50 mount from a more expensive one.

20. thatguyonline

thatguyonline winnie the pooh

WI
    WOW! [​IMG]