1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

6th largemouth critique

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Taxidermydude017, Oct 15, 2008.

1. this is the 6th largemouth I've mounted, Any constructive criticsm is welcome

2. rp

rp Member

Hi there

I'm not an expert at all but will try and help.

OK. First of all the pectoral fins look as if it is pulled too far away from the body, try to put it into a more natural position. Study some reference of the position of these fins. The photo isn't too clear and I can't see the fleshtones on it. Try too add ma more fleshtone to them. Again use reference for this.

The photo is problem as I can't really see the colour on ur fish, but ill give it a go. Ur yellow on the belly is a little to prominent try and tone it done by adding pearl or white to give it a more natural look. Also try to highlite some lighter areas on the head.

There seems to be alot of shrinkage on the head, try to use apoxi sculpt to model these areas back. If u don't have Breakthrough's fish finishing manual from Tom Sexton get one. It also has a good paint schedule in it. It's really worth the money.

Reference is very important, just keep studying photos and live fish and keep experimenting.
    Overall a good job keep them coming

3. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

It's flippin awesome!!! Those fins: WOW! I agree 100% with everything rp said. The amount of yellow- I can;t tell if that is painted or if that is the natural dried skin color. If it's the skin color, then maybe either white out SOME of those areas with a transparent off-white before painting, or bleach it lighter before painting, or both. The main area of the head to rebuild it looks like is the lower mandible and underside of the head/throat. Well, looks like the top of the head needs some rebuilding, too. Think full and fleshy- amazing how full a live bass is- they look like they're inflated at times!
    Personally, most of the time I like the pelvic fins a little tighter to the body but that's just a personal choice.
    BEAUTIFUL work!! Congrats!
    Dave

4. fougair

fougair New Member

looks good, just curious about how big it was. Hard to tell .

5. only 16"

6. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

I think thats a pretty good job. I agree with some of the other comments. Very nice soft markings.
    IMO, I think the trailing ends of the fins are too smooth. You can use a dremel with a cutting disk or small sissors to make it look more natural. Also the head markings are not quite right but not bad. I personally wouldn't have the mouth open that far so that you retain continuity from the body. Also, the gill covers grab my attention. I would hit the high spots with a sanding bit in a dremel to make it more eye pleasing. Overall, very nice job on your bass.
    If you look at the whole pic, its look like an old horror flick with the giant bass coming to eat you as you wave your arms in the air......(that is you in the lower right?)... ;D

7. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Hi I think your off to a great start,looks ok.
    Scott.

8. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

I agree with the others. I will stress ref material also. It almost looks like you didn't paint your fish. Look into scale tipping, powders etc. Needs some more paint, even if just a little.