1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

nose and feet pads?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by TomCat, Oct 15, 2008.

1. TomCat

TomCat Tommy B. <(((><

hey guys did a search no luck what do you inject in nose and foot pads of coyotes and coons to look plump and full with little shrinkage, thanks

2. BWS

BWS New Member

i don't inject mine-
    I use apoxy sculpt on the flesh side of the nose and pads when mounting.

Then i finish the nose and pads with a thin coat of apoxy sculpt the mount is dry. You can texture the apoxy with some of the foam that comes off the the leg rods on some mounts (the grey insulation foam, using the flat-cut side for texture).

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I dont inject mine either.. Skin them out to the last knuckle and get all the fat out of the pads, then tan... then use clay to rebuild the toes and pad... I use apoxie sculpt to rebuild the outside of the pad if need be. Otherwise clay works for me.

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Wouldnt an injection be EASY? Forget it you actually have to work at this craft.

5. TomCat

TomCat Tommy B. <(((><

yeah i been using clay to i read one of the tutorials and it said something about injecting the nose and no i am not looking for shortcuts just willing to try new things if it can produce a better mount you know looking for new ways to do things is work to. never get stuck in a rut or you will be like the guys that only wrap bodies cause it worked for the last 20 years why buy a from you should wrap your bodies you actually have to work at this craft lol

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Call me crazy, but I inject mine, up to and including coyotes. I don't remove a bit of cartilage. I inject w/ masters Blend w/ an insulin syringe. It will take several injections, and if you miss anything it will shrink on you in that spot, so make sure you inject it well and clean any leakage off w/ lacquer thinner.

I carve out a spot in the form for the cartilage to sit, put some clay in there to help blend the edges, and inject after tucking my lips and lining everything up, and yes Bill, it is pretty easy.

P.S. I do not inject the pads. I flesh those out and use clay behind them.

7. RDA

RDA Active Member

[​IMG]

rebuilt pad in apoxie sculpt....

8. TomCat

TomCat Tommy B. <(((><

thanks guys i will try the rebuild on the pads and maybe on the nose just hoping to come up with a way to leave it natural and not trust my sculpting skills on the face lol

9. jorgy

jorgy Member

Clean it out and fill it with clay. I have also used a lot of replacement noses lately, including just making my own out of apoxie clay.

10. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I agree with Bullwacker on the nose...... I cut the nose off the form and use clay to rebuild it..

11. TomCat

TomCat Tommy B. <(((><

i will give it a try thanks guys