1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounted a small Texas Whitetail on a Van Dykes Jody Green form tonight

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., Oct 16, 2008.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I had a couple of small 17" & 18" Whitetail left to mount so I figured what the heck, i'd try different kinda form. I got the Jody green upright alert fully aware that it would probably come with a huge muzzle. well, i got it & the head was bigger than i'm used to (McKenzie mainly) but then I thought about the clay work I fill those with anyways & decided not to shorten the face. Man, IT WAS TOUGH....I wanted to make that face smaller!! Even after I had the hide on I wanted to take a saw to it...but everything in the face fit. Anyways, this deer had a nice rack , but the body itself was no more than a scrawny 18" hill country buck.

It's late & I'm tired, but I thought i'd post some pics of that 18" Jody Green form for some of the other Texas Taxidermists that may have considered using them but was hesitant.

I'll use them again, I mean there is a lot I would have different, wouldn't we all, but over all it's a nice form & I like the fact that the face isn't rounded in the upper nose area like some of the other forms for Northern deer are, there is a slight depression. For the eyes I used those new Vivid Natural eyes, i'm liking those also. The form itself has really large & deep eye sockets for this sized deer in my opinion, so there is a need for a lot of clay backing to bring them out, other than that the eye settings were simple.

I'll probably get up in the morning and have a different opinion, but over all I thought this form was a nice change of atmosphere for mounting a small hill country buck.. I bought 4 of the forms & 4 sets of the Vivid eyes & with the free shipping the total cost was $196!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bighunter4x4

Bighunter4x4 New Member

Thanks for the post MP nice mannikin the eyes are really shiny in the pictures. Nice job.

3. Thanks for posting!

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Check the lower lid on the left eye in the AM.

5. mimes

mimes New Member

HEY......i see two pins in there and they are not in the corner of the eyes! LOL Good looking deer MP.

6. bw

bw New Member

How did the head and face end up fitting? I agree that the head just looked a little out of place for that size body. Since you ended up not shortening it, I wondered how well it wound up fitting for you.

7. michael p.

That's because some idiot (me ;D ) cut a smallhole fleshing it ;)

Hell, how abot both of them :D I had too much clay this morning around the eyes once I looked at it again so I just worked it around with my finger & readjusted the lids. Over all I like it though.

It fit dang good, like I said I was quite surprised. I'm liking the face and muzzle of this deer more today then I did when I mounted it last night (or thisd morning ::) )

8. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

I used two of his full sneak forms last year and they both came shifted at least a half inch off from one side of the mold line to the other. Not his fault, but the mold must not have been lined up. Other wise they mounted up real nice.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I like them Black Forest eyes your using.

10. Why do you waste time roughing up your form like that. Its really not necessary. Wipe the form down with lacquer thinner and spray it with spray adhesive and its ready to go.

11. michael p.

LMAO!! Now that's funny!! :)

12. bw

bw New Member

Glad to hear. Jody said I would like the fit of the head for our deer. He has been looking for feedback on his forms and I haven't had the chance to put one together yet. I was waiting to get my hands on the larger sizes of his new semi-up. They finally have them molded and I got one of them last week.

I owe Jody a call back....so I will pass along what I have read here. He is computer "challenged", and isn't likely to make it on here.

13. BOBTRAC

BOBTRAC New Member

Your eyes look GREAT, what whos are they ,are they pre rotated

14. MP Why do you think thats funny?

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Just guessing here, but he's laughing about someone critiquing his method, then they suggest an inferior method to replace his.

16. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Probably because it is considered common practice to rough up the finish to eliminate drumming. And I agree it should be done.

17. bw

bw New Member

Probably because he is trying to Avoid drumming.

18. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

I use the same method of roughing most of the time. However I know others that sandblast, sand, torch and spray with manikin prep. To each their own. If it works for you wonderful. However each has its advantages and disadvantages. But just once in a while if you listen to others with an open mind and try a new method, you might find an easier, quicker superior and more profitable way of doing things.

WOW, isn't that what our associations and this site are all about?

19. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

It's still inferior.

20. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I know someone that uses that spray mannikin prep stuff instead of roughing it up, of course they use hide paste as well. I've never tried up but they have used it forever without any problems. They keep trying to get me to try it but I'm too chicken, besides I figure srcaping the form up will give me a little exercise ;)