1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounted a small Texas Whitetail on a Van Dykes Jody Green form tonight

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., Oct 16, 2008.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You do it your way, i'll do it mine.

Here's the deal. When I mount up a deer I am basically using a "blank form". It is up to me to up any extra detail, claywork or build up's I or my customer might want. Clay nor glue is NOT going to make an acceptable bond to a smooth surface. When you spray your cure all spray glue on the form, well then your hide paste is only as strong as your spray glue as it is the barrier between your form & glue.

Besides, I put quite a bit of extra detail into every Whitetail I mount...is it all anotomically correct.....nope, not all of it, but it looks good ;) LOL Not big muscles mind you, just small carved out detail lines.

ALL capes are going to shrink. Whether it's D.P. or wet tan it WILL shrink. The only way a cape would not shrink is a dry tanned cape not rehydrated LOL As said above, when you use only pray glue to bond between the form & hide paste, your hide paste is only as strong as your spray glue. Now by saying that, any of us can rip a spray glued piece of felt from the back of a pedestal. I don't trust that to stop drumming. I want my bond glue to roughed up foam.

2. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Thanks for the post! I was ready to order one of his but was still curious- question answered & can't beat the free shipping!
    Again, thanks Michael P.

3. MP, I'm not criticizing your method I know why you sand forms I have been mounting heads for a very long time. Just trying to save you some time. I personally hate to sand forms so over the years I figured out how to eliminate this step the lacquer thiner cuts the shine and separator's then use a good brand of auto spray adhesive. I use coombs hide paste. I never tried any other paste never needed to. All my competition mounts were done this way and I never got any points of for drumming. So if its good enough for the judges it should be good enough for customers. In my opinion you should not see all that detail in long hair deer and most forms have enough detail in them for short hair deer if you don't sand it out. I'm not saying this is the only way to do this but it is my way and it works.

4. michael p.

Understood, I hate sanding also, but its just my way of doing things.

I bet your sinuses are a lot clearer than mine!!!! LOL! ;D

5. I leaned a lot from this site and everything I ever tried worked except one thing. I put a little latex paint with some silicone to make a mold. When it dried it crumbled apart. Any experience with this.

6. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Acrylic paint

7. Sorry, I meant to say acrylic paint. It comes in a tube.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

bushytailhunter, I don't know where to start. How about chemistry. First, the amount of lacquer thinner required to do that would make one higher than a kite. (Torching the form releases carcinogous gas and should NEVER be used.) Lacquer thinner actually softens the foam a bit. Then you spray glue on the form. The "wet" foam from lacquer thinner reacts with the spray glue and makes it useless. Just for arguments sake, let's say the lacquer is completely dry and you spray glue on the form, why use hide paste? After all, the hide paste can't hold to the spray glue any better than the spray glue can hold to the form. Even if the hide paste cures, it's still dependant on the adhesive spray to stay bonded. It's no different than what you get with those scratch off lottery tickets or the Monopoly chits from McDonalds. Drumming in not only possible, it's common using this method as the strength of the hide far outweighs the holding ability of the spray glue.

Now I don't mangle hell out of my form like Michael does, but the effects can't be argued. BTW Michael, that DOESN'T look like your hide paste mixture on that deer. What gives???

9. michael p.

Nope George, same hide paste. The only difference in color may be that with the McKenzie I add a little dextrine (which I do not have to do with the Coombs)

10. Paul you are always the trouble maker. LMAO

Looks great Mike. I use them once in a while myself. Frank.