1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can I re-tan skins?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by J. Sonner, Oct 18, 2008.

1. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

here is my situation-I received a load of skins that were tanned in Africa about 6 yrs. ago. I don't know what type of tanning agent was used. They were tanned by Nico Von Royens (sp?) shop supposedly. The skins sat with a taxidermist in Canada for about 4 1/2 yrs before my customer got them to me. I have mntd some of them up fine-rehydrated fine, very little hair loss, good stretch and pliability. I have a bushbuck that I have re-soaked and sweated that will not stretch and is very stiff. I do not have a fleshing mach. but the skin is nicely shaved and prety thin. I resoaked in salt water with some downy to rehydrate before sweating in the fridge for a day or two. I was wondering if I could put the skin in a new pickle for a couple days then apply liqua tan followed by liqua soft in a day or so then allow to set and then mnt. My question is this-will this help with the flexibilty or is the skin already as tanned as it will be. Will this make the skin even more unusable? will this destroy the skin? I would like to be able to save the skin since the customer struggled for years to get them from the canadian taxidermist-but I am willing to let this one be just a european mnt. if necc. :-\ :-\ :-\