1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question On Type Of Paint To Use

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Pirate, Oct 20, 2008.

1. I am a member of the Police Departments Dive Team. We have a utility vehicle that has a large vinyl sticker on the side of the truck of a Kirby Morgan Dive Helmet over the international dive flag. The colors involved are yellow, blue and gold. The sticker on the truck is about ten years old and all of the color has faded out. The black is still dark so I thought I could air brush some color back in. I'm just not sure what type of paint will be the best to shoot through an air brush that will stand up to outdoor sunlight. I also need something that will not damage the vinyl sticker I will be painting on.

I was think of using an oil based enamel that was thinned enough to go through my brush. What do you think would be my best option.

2. Studio106

Studio106 New Member

That is a god question. I have never painted over a vynil sticker before, but sounds like it would be more work than simply having the sticker redone. But if you really want to paint it I would recommend a paint called 'One shot.. It is an oil based enamel used by professional sign painters and custom painters for pinstprippig and lettering vehicles (like work trucks). That would problably have the best U.V. and weathering resistance. Usually the clear coat on vehicles is what protects the underlying paints from fading and weathering. Give your local automotive paint supply store a call and they should be able to steer you in the right direction. They may recomend an adhesion promoter for the vynil sticker. Good luck.

3. Raven

Raven New Member

vinyl applique? vinyl paint.

places that sell jighead making supplies have it (though in possibly limited colours). Even Cabelas carries some. The net is a big place - you'll be able to find vinyl paint with a little searching. Before applying even a drop though, read this;

http://www.signindustry.com/painted/articles/2005-09-15-JL-AirbrushingVinylforSignage.php3 and read the part about "chemistry 101" and what not do (and more importantly - what not to use).

Have Fun!!

4. The police department didn't pay for the stickers to start with. The team members wanted something neat looking, not just the typical lettering that the county was willing to do. So we collected money from all of the members and designed our own decal and had them made. I'm trying to avoid that cost again. The painting will not take much skill. I will easily be able to tape off the areas to paint so there won't be any free hand painting.

Thanks for the advise I will do a little more web searching.