1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best tannery for bear rug ... first time sending anything out .. yikes

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Amy, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Amy

Amy Mammal artist

I'm sure I could probably find alot in the archives, but I need you guys who have sent alot of black bears out to tell me which tannery has done really well for you.

I got a guy that will probably be bringing a black bear over for a rug. If I turn down any more rugs, I'm going to lose customers. I have to bit the bullet. Mounting the head will be no problem, and I'm going to have Ben Julian felt the rug which I feel completely confident in. I just gotta get it soft tanned first.

What's the best tannery for black bear, and what kind of turnaround do they have?

Also, can someone explain "wiring" bear claws?

2. carolina fur dressing or wildlife gallery best

3. I believe Bill@hogheaven put in a good word for Sivko Fur on here with a bear? Ask Bill, or Sivko?

4. Oh, and here's another post about them. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,109620.0.html

5. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    try yost in sturgeon bay.

6. Amy,
    Barrett Fur Dressing in Columbus Miss. does great work. He even shaves the ear cartilage off. Price is competitive but expect 6-9 months turn.

7. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

Amy...Sivko is outstanding on bears. I had a chance to compare theirs with some of the others named above & they are better. Their turnaround is also pretty quick. We send them ALL our bears & will continue to do so.

8. 300savage

300savage Life Is Good

PA
    I like sivko myself

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Amy, I've used most of them and you have the very BEST black bear tannery within walking distance (well, almost) there in Raleigh. Old Shaver acts tough but he's a wuss and Rick Morgan learned from the very best. Try Carolina and you won't need to look around. BTW, OS knows I never wire my black bear claws because I leave the pads intact and invert the feet so the claws are up inside the foot skin. (I ALWAYS wire the browns and grizzly.) They WILL fill with sawdust, but when you rehydrate them, you can just spoon out the sawdust "mud". That "mud" insures that the inner skin is rehydrated completely anyway. JUST MY OPINION, however.