1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

For Those Who Like Custom Eyes

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Travis Jones, Oct 24, 2008.

1. I thought I'd post some custom eye pics for you guys that like custom eyes, like myself. I used Mr. Josh Knuth's technique of epoxy and clear resin. I'm sure most of you have seen his tutorial on this. The eyes are for a 25" redfish I'm custom molding and casting for my Mom so I figured I do a set of custom eyes to go with it. Well it took me one eye to get the hang of it but the second was a breeze. Sure its not as easy as buying a pre fab, pre painted eye but its a hell of a lot more rewarding in the end. The other cool thing about it is, with shipping cost as HIGH as they are, in a pinch you can save some shipping instead of ordering one set of eyes to finish a job. Plus pre painted eyes look like a$$ in my opinion.

So a HUGE THANKS to Josh Knuth for the tutorial and answering my thousands of questions!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This eye is just a custom painted glass eye. Its for a 60" Bull Dolphin in the works. Huge 32mm
    [​IMG]

2. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Beautiful work Travis.

"Pre painted eyes look like A$$" lol........ thats funny :D

3. mayhem15

mayhem15 New Member

amazing! great job travis. they look real!

4. Travis, that is a fantastic looking eye. You definitely have the talent my friend.

5. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

HHOOOOOLLLYLYY BUCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT EYE MY FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

Travis,

Indeed, you have some great talent within, bery bery nice eyes, well done ;).

7. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

Never thought I'd be saying this to another guy, but.....
    Travis your eyes are soooooooo dreamy :eek:
    Seriously SWEET!

8. RDA

RDA Active Member

Sheeesh you guys ARE SICKOS!!!!! ::) ;D ;D TRAVIS!!! Think you could whip me up about a dozen pair!!!!!!!!! you guys should be workin for tohickon!! ::) ;) ;D

9. Chad See

Chad See Certified "Fish Head"

Awesome work Travis.

10. Travis, WOW! Very cool! Nice job! I look forward to seeing the finished Redfish!

11. Thanks to all for looking. Hope you like em.

[quote author=Aaron Stehling l"Pre painted eyes look like A$$" lol........ thats funny :D[/quote]

Sorry Aaron sometimes I'm a bit too opinionated

12. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Sorry Aaron sometimes I'm a bit too opinionated
    [/quote]

I've got the same problem.....

13. Very nice great job Travis. I won't mention any names but somebody has been watching to much of the outdoor channel more specifically a blond woman named Tiffany ah
    Mr. Lawrence

14. den007

den007 Active Member

And Jimmy...........show us some!

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I don't want to speak for Jimmy, but I don't think he has ever created an eye from scratch using resin like Travis just did. Travis, that is truly exceptional!!! And thank you Josh for the tutorial, I cant wait to do a pr. of my own. Awesome!!!

16. rp

rp Member

Hi Travis

Outstanding work on those eyes. Think u will start a new trend on this site. Topic " Custom made eyes ". Could get really interesting to see what the guys can come up with.

17. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I cannot wait to try that technique out. Just gotta make the time.

18. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

Beautiful work, Travis! Could someone point me to the tutorial?? Can't find it in the search for some reason. I want to try a new method- got to better better than what I've been doing! he he. THANKS!
    Dave

19. Chad See

Chad See Certified "Fish Head"

http://www.knuthart.com/joshua/blog/

Go the the above site.... should be all there.

Again Travis, fantastic work.

20. Travis they look great!!
    its not so hard to do once you get the hang of it.
    The color is right on for the redfish.