1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

western pennsylvania school of taxidermy

Discussion in 'Training' started by broken arrow, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Hey everyone I am new to the forum, and to the world of taxidermy. My question is has any one ever attended western PA school of taxidermy or know any one who has. My concern is I would love to do taxidermy fultime and feel that school is the best option for getting to that goal quicker, however this school only lasts 8 weeks and says that by the time your done with the course that you are proficient enough to open your own business. I have looked at other schools that require 7 months. Is it possible to learn enough in 8 weeks to start out part time?

2. Chad See

Chad See Certified "Fish Head"

Hello and welcome to the board. I attended this school and will email you some info.

3. If i was you i would think heavely about going to THE ACADEMY OF WILDLIFE ART in duncansville ,PA .jason wasa my instructor as i have sat in on many of garys seminars along with tim jordan doing turkeys you won't find a better place.

4. drake

drake 101st ARMY AIRBORNE GULF WAR

Broken arrow, I have that exact problem and question, what did you find out? please email me with what you found out. [email protected] thanks, matt

5. Chad See

Chad See Certified "Fish Head"

I sent you some info as well. If anyone else has any questions, feel free to contact me and I will either email you or call you to help you out.

Chad

6. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

I went to WPST. I learned a ton of information from Mark Jordan. He is an excellent instructor. His game heads and turkeys are top notch. Small class size offers great assistance when you need help. I went there 3 years ago and i am currently opperating a full time shop. I did have some background before i went to his school, but there were many beginners that had never touched a thing and left in a very positive state of mind. I would defiantly recommend his coarse, and yes in 8 weeks you will learn a ton. His classes are Monday through Friday and start around 7 and end whenever you leave. Shop is usually open on Saturday also if you want to get some extra time in. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

ryan olson

7. Thanks alot guys the information has been very helpful, and I will be calling Marc this week to enroll in his march session. Ryan, I was impressed with the website the quality of your work is awesome, and convinced me that with Marc's course I could have the foundation to a rewarding career. Thanks again.

8. shinbone

shinbone New Member

i support what ryan said. i attended the same school . they will give you the knowledge you need.....what you do with it is up to you.good luck !!

9. db24pepsi

db24pepsi New Member

I attended this school last summer and it was a very good school. You learn more than you can ever expect in 8 weeks. Marc is a super guy and will do anything you need. I would highly recommend this school to anyone that is thinking about getting into business. I have my own shop set up now and am doing very well. Marc is always open to me for questions when i have them. So good luck in your school you pick but this is the one for you.

10. jerryw

jerryw New Member

I actually stopped in at this school last winter to check it out. The owner/instructor was very informative and gave ma and my wife a tour of the school and the things that the students have worked on. I was very impressed with the quality of the work. I seen wild turkey in full strut mounts that would compare to any taxi shop I have been in and these mounts were all done on week 2. I will be saving money this year and going there in january of 2008. I think it would be a good choice unless you can afford more money and time then I would suggest the PA school of taxidermy in ebensburg.

11. deadeye308

deadeye308 New Member

I'm attending the school right now! I'm having a blast...we are on our 5th week, and time is flying but you learn ALOT, 8 weeks seems to be short, but Marc will put in as much time as you do! I normally get there at like 6:15 and don't leave till who knows when, never before 5 or so. you get about 12 weeks of school in 8 weeks. I would defiantly recommend this school to anyone! My email is [email protected] if you have any more questions

12. KB

KB New Member

Marc's school is class A. I attended last summer as well and I am very pleased with how much I learned, and the quality-control that Marc teaches. I went up last spring to tour WPST, PA Institute of Taxidermy, and Academy of Wildlife Art w/ Jason Snowberger. I choose Marc's WPST for several reasons: you simply can't ask for a nicer, down-to-earth guy than Marc, and his two helpers; Jason and Shawn are also top notch. Class size is small (<12) and plenty of time in class to learn, plus you learn the techniques to produce true quality mounts, and not to mention that the price is very reasonable. PIT was a no-go for me as soon as I walked in the door. WAY too many students (30 students and 2 instructors!!) and classroom was extremely cramped...just didn't float my boat. Academy of Wildlife Art was appealing, yet the school was very new and hadn't had many students yet...which caused me to shy away, it also costs a pretty penny to attend. Good luck to you.
    -KB