1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Where to get started in taxidermy.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by dlars, Oct 26, 2008.

1. dlars

dlars New Member

I live north central Wisconsin I have had a interest in taxidermy for a couple of years need some direction on where to beginsomething small or something more challenging like Whitetail shoulder mount with help of course. any feedback Would be appreciated

2. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

it wont matter where you start, your firsts will not be "masterpeices". In my opinion, dive right in, get yourself Rick Carters Whitetail mounting A to Z, and watch it aboiut 20 times and get started, the video is the most informational peice EVER done on mounting a whitetail, and you will learn alot of valuable info that will put you ahead of someone trying to learn by word of mouth. You can also get his Boar mounting video and go to town on a hog as well, EJ on here did and he won a national championship with a hog ;D (sorry EJ had to put that in there). Seriously, get the deer video and get busy, you wont regret it. Russ

3. redwolf

redwolf New Member

I agree with Russ and I would also add joining your state taxidermy association. You can learn a lot from it.

4. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

I just bought Rick Carter's A to Z . My first video that I had did not even compare. You have came to the right place to start off with I have learned a lot from this site. The people are nice and help you out if you post questions. I personally went with the whitetail shoulder mount. They are abundant where you live you could probably get capes from a local deer processer. I think the smaller animals are harder from what I have heard I havent done anything small yet. Besides If you get into it whitetails would probably be the bulk of what you do. Look in the arcives here at peoples mounts that are getting critiques that helps. When you finish your first few mounts post pictures here so people can give you advise ( dont't take anything personal for the most part people are trying to help). Russ gave you some good advise. I just finished my third deer and now when I look back at what the first two they ain't masterpieces like Russ says. So If you have family members and freinds that shoot as small buck or doe see if they will let you mount it. When things seem a a little tuff stick with it. Also I have been told to join your states taxidermy association you don't have to be a taxidermist to join and go to a convention and there will be demonstrations that you learn alot from. I'm from Michigan and doing this in March. I say go for it and good luck.

5. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

I learned so much at my state association's convention. Our guys donate 1 on 1 workshops and that's where I learned more than I could ever begin to tell about. I'm still new here, but that convention & competition with the workshops really set me off on the right foot.
    From what I hear, compete if you go. You can learn so much from a judge's critique as long as you don't take it personally. I competed art this past year but plan to compete with my first mount this coming year. After hearing so many good things about it, I'm also ordering Rick Carter's video.

6. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

I currently use Randy Life's DVD's. They are pretty good, but I may have to give Rick Carter's video a try. I am always willing to find better training and ways to improve!

7. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

these guys are right, however if you really want to take a corse, dan rinehart is just south of you in wisconsin. he does a good quick corse you will enjoy.