1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coons

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by al from sc, Oct 27, 2008.

1. ;D ;D ;D..Man thats an waesome mount by Doug Brincks on the home page..congratulations on a great mount,,those coons rock ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[​IMG]

2. love that coon on the left

3. Brian

Brian Active Member

an albino added to them would of been the icing on the cake. awesome coons though.

4. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Hi great job Doug Brincks on the raccoon mounts,looks real nice 8)
    Scott.

5. CKolar

CKolar Member

Where or how do you find an orange coon?

6. Brian

Brian Active Member

with luck my friend. i believe they call em cinnamons. there are beautiful aint they. i know id piss myself if i ever saw one in my trap.

7. RDA

RDA Active Member

Yup very nicely done- very unique piece!!! :eek:

8. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I bought a cinnamon coon from nid-20 on here last year. Its my favorite all time mount & the only mount in my house.

9. Very Nice coons. Josh

10. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Yeah nice mount ... too bad this new "thing" everybody is into makes the animals look sickly. I'm talking about this new idea of blowing the hair backwards! Hey, unless the animal is in a windstorm, their hair does not grow backwards. And it looks even worse on squirrels.

In fact the only mammal that does have hair growing the opposite way from all others are the Tree Sloths of Central and South America.

I know you all like to think it looks cool, but trust me ... of all the raccoons that come up on our deck at feeding time -- some twenty five to thirty at a time -- none of them has a coat that grows backwards!

And yes, these critters are fattening up like crazy for this winter ... and it looks like we're gonna have a COLD one! Fat, rotund bodies, and thick, thick, warm coats are the fashion for them this year.

The only time their hair is held upright -- not backwards -- is when they are warming themselves. The guard hairs are made to stand on end, while their thick undercoat fluffs, and keeps the cold out. Most of the time, however, the hairs of their coats are pointing rearward, and yes they are fluffy appearing, but not "windblown" up.
    [​IMG]

The hairs "self-groom" for want of a better term, and as taxidermists ... aka: Animal Restorers ... it is our duty to recreate the animals as Nature has presented them to us, and not dictate their appearance by the latest "slave to fashion". Just because it is being done, does not make it right. It may be different ... but it is wrong!

This picture is from National Geographic, December 1956, and shows a group of raccoons in a zoo setting, excitedly awaiting their supper! The raccoon on all fours in front, shows his coat with hairs slightly standing on end in excitement of his next meal. With all this excitement and anticipation, that notice none of the raccoons in this image have coats that are overblown back or all hairs standing straight up.
    [​IMG]

The other thing I see that isn't quite right are the Asiatic look to the eyes ... especially on the center coon. Raccoons have dark, round eyes, with eyelids that follow the shape closely, coming to pointed angles at the front corners of the eyes -- not the rears -- wherein the nictitating membrane is located. The rear edges of the eyelids follow the rounded curvature of the eyeball at that area. The eyes seem a little too deep-set as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, it is a nice mount ... but it has it's fair share of problems. And "People's Choice" doesn't mean it's correct.

Food for thought ...
    John.

11. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Hey John,

You were gone from Taxi-net for a long time...I don't know how the taxidermy world got by without hearing your critique of their work.

:)

All hail John....he is God of Taxidermy:) A legend in his own mind:)

12. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I like your avatar ... but that's about it.

Try to refute anything I said using the references I put up in my post. I get so sick of all the a$$-kissing and genuflecting that goes on ... "Awesome mount, dude!" or "They rock" ... please! There are faults, and if those faults are not pointed out, then how does anyone learn anything.

"If we do not learn from our mistakes, then we are doomed to repeat them."

I'm not here to make friends ... I don't need new friends. I'm not here to vie for Mr. Congeniality. I'm not here to pat everybody on the head, give them a cookie, and send them merrily on their way. I'm here to try and teach what is right and what is wrong with a mount, by going to the source ... Nature herself. That's the best teacher in the world. I'm just its messenger.

Being absent from here has nothing to do with anything ... animals have not changed. Only their presentation over the years has changed ... and not always for the better. It's easy for human beings to try to "improve" on Nature's designs ... it happens every day. But just because we could doesn't mean we should. Nature's gifts are there ... right there. And as usual, the arrogance of man thinks it needs improvement. Really? I don't think so.

Through taxidermy ... Animal Restoration ... we are trying to convey what an animal looks like in it's natural environment ... what it looked like when it was alive. How is back-blowing air with dog dryers, or reverse vacuum cleaners achieving that look of "Realism"? It is not. It is a fast fix, and nothing more. The correct way to achieve the full and fluffy look of a living mammal, is by thoroughly back-brushing with a wire slicker brush, getting down into the base coat hairs so they stand on end, then with light passes, brushing the hairs back into their correct direction. Basically "sculpting" the hair into place. That is how you achieve that alive look to a mounted mammal's coat.

And that has nothing to do with egos, or god fixations ... your label by the way, not mine! It has everything to do with good, solid workmanship ... nothing more!

Take it for what it is. Pointing out the obvious. For those who choose to see it, it is an enlightenment ... an education. That's all.

John.

13. bill@hogheaven

Some people arent here to learn John. All they are looking for is rose petals being blown up their ass. Glad you are back.

14. Dang ,,,you ought to be a judge...I wasnt blowing rose petals..just because I said those coons rock,,, ;) ;) ;),,,,Somebody worked their ass off to make them look that good,,thats all I was saying,,I know Rusty and Bill are master taxidermist but some of us are I guess in your terms ..Hacks....some of us appreciate the effort and reality that goes into a mount such as the one by Doug,,,how do you know that its not mounted to show some excitement ,,, :p :p :-* :-* :-*

15. Brian

Brian Active Member

whether it looks totally real or not, i still think it looks damn good to me. i would be proud to hang that in my den!

16. RDA

RDA Active Member

Ill lend my insight to this,,, not every post is asking for critique It is not rose pedals being blown up any ones arse here. Simply commenting on an ATTRACTIVE piece.. Is it perfect certainly not, but Ive not seen a perfect one yet....Now, that being said,,,,,, John has a very good insight into anatomy of animals which he shares here- ---which is a good thing, but normally I reserve my critiques for those posts that ask for it.... ;) After all this is more of a learning sight than just a showcase sight..... ;) THATS WHY I NEVER ASK FOR CRITIQUES!!! ;D ;D

17. :) :)..Well it was good enough for the home page,,, :p :p,,just a very atractive piece :-*.didnt mean to start an arse kissing contest... 8) 8)

18. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

There sure seems to be a lot of people having problems with Coons here lately? I received a text message this morning saying how they were needing hunters in DC to volunteer to help remove some from the White House. Did anybody else hear about that? ::)

19. RDA

RDA Active Member

LMAO!!!!! ;D Great avatar EJ!!!! ;D

20. bill@hogheaven

My comment was not about the mount, which I not only like but have been planning to do one similar but with an albino coon. My comment was more about certain people.