1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann Question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by c bowen, Dec 20, 2006.

1. c bowen

c bowen New Member

Ok, I know I'm going to catch some grief but here goes. Do you have to use Tide Detergent? Is there something special about it? I have always used another brand for washing my hides and I'm kinda partial to the fragrance!! Yeah Right! Anyhow does it really matter? Also, is soda ash and sodium carbonate the same thing? I need to brush up on my chemistry skills.

Thanks,

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

sodium carbonate, washing soda, sal soda, soda ash, soda:

a sodium salt of carbonic acid; used in making soap powders and glass and paper

all the same.

3. HurtTaxidermy

HurtTaxidermy My Dream Deer

I think any kind of stuff like tide would work fine, and i dont know about the ash stuff your talking about but I used baking soda instead of the sodium bicarbonate and I just had to double the amout worked great.

4. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Cyclone, what is a bright eye collector? A good degrease, in a salt water solution, would be better. You wont have to worry about the detergents that contain NAOH.

5. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i use dawn and rinse in fabric softener

6. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Sodium bicarbonate is the same thing as baking soda if i remember right

7. yes but the main difference is if you use common arm and hammer BS you need to use about 1/2 as much MORE to neutralize...The Liquid Tide thing (1/2 capful) i guess is just to wash all the residues of chemicals form the hide/skin/cape?

With the liquid Dawn dishwashing thing...do you use reg blue or flowery scent? ;D :D

8. Tim

Tim Olean,NY

ny
    how come on the arm-hammer box it says ingredient ,Sodium bicarbonate ?so i know the krowtann direction say double it if you use it?why if its the same?

9. HurtTaxidermy

HurtTaxidermy My Dream Deer

Maybe it isnt pure sodium bicarbonate and has other ingredients ???

10. Tim

Tim Olean,NY

ny
    humm the box only says in the ingredient ,Sodium bicarbonate ,nothing else

11. it never hurts to add extra...better to be safe than sorry..

12. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Tim, as you already know, there is no difference. People that are going to be giving opinions on tanning of any kind, should at least know the basics. Some of the new guys and gals, on here, need to beware of what they read, and dont take it all as correct info. Some of it is even bad info.

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I asked Brian about it awhile back, he said they are different but I still don't see how, if it has added ingredients I would think that they would have to be listed. I just recently bought a new bottle of Krowtann and recieved the new neutralizing directions, I've always followed the directions and always had great results with the old ones, I'm almost afraid to change.

14. Big Jeff

Big Jeff New Member

I called Arm & Hammer Co. and was told it was all the same ingredients. And I have talked to Brian several times and was told that the store bought baking soda needs to have more added to the mix. I am not a chemist, and if I was I wouldn't be doing taxidermy, but I have noticed this about the two products: The stuff at the grocery does seems more powdery than the sodium bicarbonate I buy at Southern States, which feels more like salt. I figure the two are a different grade or texture, and perhaps that effects the way it mixes with the water, or the way it works into the hide to neutralize it. What ever the reason, Brian is the expert on the Krowtann, and like Becky said, I just do what the directions say and everything comes out fine. Never had a problem in the several years I have been using it, and have done bears, elk, deer, and predators. And which ever type Baking Soda you use, in which ever amount Brian says to use it is what I would do. I don't think it would be a good idea to just "add a little extra," as over neutralizing will make the hair fall out. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that over kill on amount to a gallon of H2O is as bad as over doing it on the time.
    As for Tide, you can use what ever you want, I guess, although some detergents may not be good for a tanned hide. If the directions say "TIDE" then I would figure that the chemist who did make the stuff knows that it works and, that is what I am going to use. I have used Dawn as well, but one thing about Laundry detergent, it is designed to be less soapy and therefore will rinse out much easier than some of the other stuff. The reason for washing the hide is to get the sodium bicarbonate out of it, and, of course, to clean it. Tide leaves the hides smelling okay to me, but we're mounting an animal, not making a giant air freshener. You can always try the Mountain Berry Scent.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

sounds like Brian needs to prove and show some facts as why to add more "store bought" baking soda in place of the same product under differend words.

Oldshaver is so true, people giving advice about Krowwtan, and know absolutely nothing about tanning.

16. I have always used Arm and Hammer for basification. If you use more you better be ready for a hide that's gonna slip eventually. Over neutralizing is a very bad thing. I am not a real experienced tanner but I have lost a couple of hides to over neutralizing. Both hides slipped after tanning.

17. ozark woods

ozark woods New Member

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, However! there are different grades of sodium bicarbonate based on purity. With all the brands that are in the stores there is a difference in the grade of each of them mostly to a lower grade.In order to compensate for using baking soda to neutralize a hide tanned with krowtann you will need to use double the amount of what is called for when using industrial grade sodium bicarbonate. We have tested using store bought baking soda and found the only sure way to properly neutralize the hide consistently was to double the amount. Going over on the amount of sodium bicarbonate wont hurt, but if you leave it in to long you will have problems.

18. Thanks to Ozark woods for the input...as I have stressed to everyone...only 1/2 CAPFUL of Liquid Tide is needed...and in the directions it does say to leave in for no longer than 15 minutes, but to also agitate it frequently....or swish it around a bit ( for BG and others who might have trouble uunderstanding BIG words...)LOL j/k guys....

By the way...to Ozark woods...If you ever need commercial work representation for this product...look me up...I have been the most direct and foremost spokesperson for this product and feel it is definatley worthy of a spot on TV...say the Outdoors Channel?