1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

krowtan or tanning cream

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Big Tine, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Big Tine

Big Tine have a great day

can anyone tell me what they prefer krotan or tanning cream and which does the best job preventing slippage?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Big tine, you make up your own mind about what you use, but NOTHING you do can "prevent" slippage other than proper field care. Hides generally slip right before they reach your shop with some numbnuts allowing the hide to spoil before you got it. Once that happens, you can try Stop Rot and hold on to your St. Christopher's medal.

3. Big Tine

Big Tine have a great day

when the hide comes out of the krowtann is it really ready for final fleshing? The ad states no salting or anything just mount.

4. After you neutralize the hide it is ready for thinning, and yes follow exactly what the directions tell you to do.

The tanning cream works well also, try them both and see what you prefer.

5. zubba

zubba New Member

LiquaTan. Ooops, that wasn't an option. I would go with Krowtann then, very easy, but follow the directions. This is based on the fact that I haven't used the cream before.

6. Norste

Norste New Member

I just started using Krowtann recently and I love it, it has worked great on everything for me so far.

7. George

Silly me. I guess I missed the important part of the question. OK, I ALWAYS prefer a tan over a pickle alone so, for me, it will always be a TANNING cream.

8. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

George, any suggestions on a good cream?

9. George

Zubba gave you a great one. I use John Rineharts which is quite similar.

10. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 New Member

I prefer krowtan.....

11. maximum

maximum The one that got away! Made the other guy Famous!

I have used both and I prefer JRTS.

12. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

In house tanning is always alum pickle followed by liqua-tan. Sets the hair and the pH is perfect for the liqua-tan

13. Krowtann is a tan! I have made soft leather with it and yes it works. Instructions are simple!!

Several years ago I had a arsehole unplug a deep freeze, it had several nice capes in it. Due to the fact it was in the back of the garage with lots of crap between it and the door. I figured it would just be easier to plug it back in until I had the time and place to get the hides out.

Well that was four years ago.

Sunday I removed all the capes, thawed them fast with running water, found out quickly which ones were trash and out of 22 capes I have 6 that are good.

Understand these capes are on the edge of slipping, so into the KROWTANN the GOOD CAPES WENT.

Monday I split the lips, nose, eyes and turned most of the ears, some ears were freezer burned a bit, but they turned yesterday, they had softened up in the Krowtann.

Yesterday I shaved the two of the hides and the hair is set perfectly.

I used the Whitetail formula.

I did not flesh these two hides in anyway before putting them in the krowtann, large chunks of meat and fat and as I said I did not even split the lips or nose and just partially turned the ears before the tan.

14. Krowtann Krowtann done not get better for in house tanning, I just mounted my first half black bear that was tanned with Krowtann, not even a dot of slipage!!!!!! This will open a can of worms!! LOL ;D

15. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

lol this is why Krowtan gets a bad wrap LOL why would someone selling you a product give you false information on how to use it? If those steps were needed and they told you they weren't and people started loosing hides they wouldn't be in business very long.

16. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

i agree 100% i just wanted to make sure. i read lots o f the threads and tutorials about proper tanning and they all said to pickle first. after doing more research i found more info on this krowtan and thought i would give it a try, as i am new at this and they said it was easy for beginners