1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sea Trout Replica Question

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Ozwalt, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

I have a customer who has made it a hobby to travel to catch as many different species of fish as he can, and then he has me do a replica for him. In other words, we're not talking trophy-sized fish. We're usually talking average-sized at best. The most recent project is a 14-1/2" and a 19" sea trout. I've done the search, and the only appropriately sized blanks I can find are Archie Philips and WASCO, which brings me to my actual question.

Recommendations? Which way should I go? Who has better scale detail, better fins, etc? Do either have inner mouth detail? I've never used these two lines of blanks before. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

2. I'd use New Wave and stay as far away from Philips as you can.

3. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

I hear you! New Wave has the 19-1/2", but not the 14-1/2" -- and I think putting a top quality replica next to one that is... uh... less top quality, let's say, would only draw attention to the lesser mount. One option I'll present my customer is "stretching" his 14 to a 16 and going with New Wave for both fish.

Any other comments from the peanut gallery about Phillips or WASCO's Pro Line?

4. If your gonna do it, do it right. ;D

5. Capt. Bryan

Capt. Bryan New Member

I have a 14 1/2" - 15" mold. Call me at 904-716-7048

6. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Always do. I charge based on the size of the mount, though, not the size of the fish the customer wants. So, in this case, I'll defer to my customer's decision. (1) right size and cheaper, or (2) bigger, a couple inches more expensive, but better quality.

I'm guessing he'll choose quality over price, which is what makes him such a valued customer. Even so, I'd like to hear anyone's opinion re: the WASCO Pro-line blanks, so I can give my customer some clear choices.

7. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Capt. Bryan,

I don't think I'm familiar with your work. Is there a website I could check or pics you could post?

Thanks.

8. Capt. Bryan

Capt. Bryan New Member

www.captbryan.com

9. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Your mounts look really good. Got a couple questions. Sending a PM.

Thanks.