1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A few questions about working with deer hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by .X., Nov 1, 2008.

1. .X.

.X. New Member

Ok, now most of this might sound amateur-ish, because it is. My experience with hides is very limited. I am a drum maker and this year i decided to make my own deer rawhides, since it fits in better with the traditional technique and ideology behind my drum making. I'll be getting a few raw deer hides from local hunters today and tomorrow, so i guess it's a bit of a last minute thing, but i hadnt found such a good forum as this until this morning.

My first question is about what seems to be called green freezing. Are there any disadvantages to this? I mean as far as the quality of the hide goes. And i imagine it has to be fleshed before frozen? After this, can i simply wrap them, bag them and freeze them for later use? And what about salting them? I read about one guy who said to flesh, throw salt on it, and freeze them. Any opinions on this?

The information i've found on salting is sketchy. If i flesh the hides, how exactly do i go about salting them, or preserving them for later use? My first experiment was with a moose hide. I simply fleshed it, streched it over a frame with hair on, and left it to dry. It seems to have dried just fine and i still have it. I dont see no signs of decomposition, yet i havent found any info on the internet about such a simple and primitive preservation technique.

Any tips, links and/or information i can get on this would be greatly appreciated. I've seached the net as much as i could and couldnt find enough info to get me going with confdence.

Thanks in advance.

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

www.braintan.com
    Look for the "Hide Out"

They have a forum devoted to rawhide...

3. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

Boy have you got that right.