1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skin a squirrel for a sitting up mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ShaunO31, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ShaunO31

ShaunO31 New Member

What I wish to find out is what is the best cut to make to do a mount of a squirrel sitting up? Also when ordering a form where exactly do I measure the squirrel? Thank you!!!

Shaun O

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I dorsal cut mine. Measure tip of nose to base of tail and girth(fattest point).

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tube cut them. I've YET to EVER see a dorsal cut squirrel that didn't show the seam (unless it was in the Missionary position). Go to the Tutorial section and look it up.

4. ShaunO31

ShaunO31 New Member

Thanks Redwolf and George!!! I will check the tutorial! Appreciate the help.

Shaun O

5. B2L

B2L New Member

i posted and got a great ans. from r. carter...look back a couple pages..
    Eric

6. ShaunO31

ShaunO31 New Member

Wow George! Great tutorial!! That will help a bunch. Thanks Eric I will check!!

Shaun O

7. ShaunO31

ShaunO31 New Member

Oh and I forgot, do I measure the fattest part of the squirrel before I skin it out or after? Thanks again.

ShaunO

8. Kittrell Hill

Kittrell Hill 9 Beard Merriam 2008 Meade Co SD

Shaun O I always measure girth on the carcuss after skinning

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

John David Ellzey measures his length and girth before skinning as you can see by his catalog. I really never understood the big deal about whether the measurement was on or off the carcass. Those who measure off ASSUME the form was made from the carcass and those who measure on, ASSUME it was sculpted by a live animal. We ALL know that dead animals nor live ones have those steroidal muscles on them anyway and the most the measurement could vary would be less than 1/2 inch if the same amount of "cinching the tape" was used on both. Get that "E/N" and the "L" and the "C" will likely take care of itself.