1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Boar head fleshing?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by clw499, Nov 4, 2008.

1. clw499

clw499 New Member

This is my second boar head that I am working on. I'm an amature so I don't have a flesher, but this boar is much larger than the first one I did, and the skin on the back of his neck and shoulders is over an inch thick! I guess it isn't the skin, but the fat or whatever that "shoulder plate" is on large boars. Is there any "easy" way of getting that off without spending hundreds of $'s on a fleshing machine?

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

You can use sharp knives or an xacto knife. It's hard work and takes quite awhile. I recommend putting it in the freezer and buying Rick Krane's DVD on boar. You won't be disappointed. The only thing with the DVD is that the boar in CA have a shield that can be 1 1/2" thick compared to the light one he uses, but it's the same principal. He covers everything from A-Z; in fact, he should call his DVD that...

3. weazel

weazel New Member

he ment rick carter but rick krane has some good fish vids good luck those things are fun

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Youcould also send it to a tannery that offers a prep service & pay them to do what you cant do.

5. mike108

mike108 New Member

PA
    Beam and a sharp draw knife, shave it off.

6. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Yes, I meant Rick Carter. I have both Rick Carter and Rick Krane Videos. They're both good, but Rick Carter's the one who does the boar videos.

7. buckstop

buckstop New Member

Put the cape over a beam and use a sharp fleshing knife. It takes some practice but it works.