1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finishing Whitetail eye with oil paints

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by eddieb, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Very Nice Thanks for the post!!

2. Thanks for the compliments. I posted the finished mount on: Game head of the week (Starting Nov 28th.)

3. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

To speed drying time. a quick coat of laquer sealer (sprayed) over the oils will realy speed up the drying.

4. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

great post...i'll have to try that next time.

5. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

great work

6. great tutorial,eddie, thanks for sharing

7. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

one thing that I noticed unlike alot of people they paint too much around the eyes where as this was just right. Let the critter dictate how much to use and where you might need to apply a little here great post. I use to and still do once in a while.

8. kwickerink

kwickerink New Member

Thanks so much for posting that! I was taught with an airbrush but hav ewanted to try oils!

9. Loved it!! Great post, can't wait to try it. Looking forward to seeing the way you do your noses also. Jared

10. otis

otis New Member

very nice job. wished i could do that good

11. pdmd2911

pdmd2911 Member

FYI guys,
    Winsor Newton makes a fast dry oil paint. This should help eliminate the long drying time without sacrificing the benefits of oils. If you can't find them locally try the web. Found several suppliers that carry it.

Here's a link to their FAQs on this paint
    http://www.winsornewton.com/products/oil-colours/griffin-fast-drying-oil-colour/frequently-asked-questions/

Beautiful eye work. That lid crease is dead on. Always appreciate the tips.

I doubt the $300 dollar guys are putting that much effort into their eyes!

12. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Hobby Lobby carries the WN quick dry paints

13. That is awesome thanks for sharing that with us!!! Have always used oils for paintings just never thought about using them on the actual deer. Looks Great!!!

14. shammy

shammy New Member

thanks Eddie, greatly appreciated.

15. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

I know my eyes arent in the same class as eddieb's but I figured I would post a dark whitetail and dark muley coloration. They may be of use to someone.

The whitetail is done exactly as eddieb but after the burnt umber a VERY small amount of raw umber was added just to slightly darken it up just a bit.

The muley was done exactly the same as my dark whitetail and then a VERY VERY small amount of black was added to further darken it. For a light muley I stop at the raw umber similar to a dark whitetail. I should also mention to always leave the trench from the caruncle to the tear duct noticably lighter on a muley.

This is a great technique. Thanks eddieb for illustrating it so well.

16. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

Here is the Muley

17. tylerdeloach32

tylerdeloach32 New Member

interesting thanks for the post

18. DROPPINEM

DROPPINEM New Member

X2.......But what about the nose tutorial.I was getting all pumped up reading this post.

19. tylerdeloach32

tylerdeloach32 New Member

same