1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finishing Whitetail eye with oil paints

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by eddieb, Nov 6, 2008.

1. thanks for sharing. Something new to try. H20dog

2. I love this post! I plan on trying this in a few days... :)

3. .

4. Hi Eddieb,
    Do you also have pictures of doing the nose?

5. bigrack2427

bigrack2427 New Member

I am pumped up to on the nose tutorial. I did my first set of eyes with the oils and I always thought my eyes were pretty good but just lacked that soft touch until this thread.. My eyes that I did turned out great and I could not be happier and I have to say that I will put my airbrush down from now on when it comes to the eyes.. Now I would love to see the nose post too and see how to make what I do even better... Also I read where Eddie said that this is just a commercial mount set of eyes what are the other steps that he would have done to make these competition? I am thinking of starting to get into competitions just trying to push myself even harder but looking at those eyes and the ones I just did myself I would have considered great so what are the things on that eye that would need to be different for that level of competition?

6. fht

fht New Member

Thanks for the tips

7. bentstik

bentstik New Member

marking

8. April Payne

April Payne New Member

Very nice pics. Any particular reason why you make the apoxie sculpt a fleshy red color and then paint it black later on for the nic. membrane?

9. Thanks, April. First I'm using the fleshy apoxie to fill in around the eyes, tear duct and nostrils so I already have this mixed. I wanted the pink as a base color. After I painted it black I could wipe it slightly to allow a little pink to show through. (As per some membranes I've seen)
    Recently I have been experimenting with adding dark brown flocking to the initial pink colored apoxie and I like the result. That way the black paint is not needed at all.
    I could tell by your Avatar that you were perplexed by that. :)

10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

That comment at the end was priceless.

11. April Payne

April Payne New Member

What do you mean by that last comment? Is it that obvious that I'm a n00b? :p

12. Hope you will post your updated stuff with the changing colors of the apoxie from red, black upto light pink!

As I am very eager to see them!

13. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

April, I think he meant your avatar pic looks like you are deep in thought. Twas a little joke.

14. Yes..that's what I meant!

15. Jamie E

Jamie E Member

MARKING FOR FUTURE REFERENCE

16. I know this thread is from July...but did the nose pics ever come up anywhere else?

17. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah

Droid Baby!!!

Shut up and mount

18. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Nice eyes. Thanks for sharing.

19. *