1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pheasants..Real head or fake?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by shockme2, Dec 21, 2006.

1. shockme2

shockme2 New Member

Hello!

I recently did my first Pheasant and I used the real head/skull. Is it any better or easier to use a fake one? Thanks for all replies!

2. bowhunterq2xl

bowhunterq2xl Hillbilly pride runs deep

Fake much easier and no shrinkage

3. Lee D.

Lee D. Member

On things like pheasants, you can use the real head... just clean it out really well!
    You only really gotta watch for shrinkage on things with bills (waterfowl).
    Beaks don't shrink because they are calcium. Waterfowl bills shrink because there's a thin skin covering the bill.

The ferebee flexible head/necks work really great on both upland birds and waterfowl. Don't have to worry about bugs that may go for the head if you left any meat/fat on the skull. Just clip the skull off near the beak, toss the skull, and super glue the beak into place!

4. Roadkill

Roadkill Jackalopes are Real !!!!!!!!!!!!

I like using a fake head that I carved and then molded. I did one with the mouth open and one closed. It has full Spring wattles and all I need ot do it mount up the phesant, and pull the skin inot place and glue it. I then let it dry, paint the wattles and then set the eyes and I am done. I have ot paint the beak as well, but I can do all the finish before setting the eyes. I made the head to accept the flex eyes with lids and think it makes mounting a lot easyer and faster than messing around wiht clay and sculpting a new head everytime I mount a phesant.