1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Someone to tan just one deerskin?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Sea Wolf, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

This probably would not be a commercial tannery job. I do not know of any tannery that will take in just one hide to do. I have a friend that has just one deer hide. He would like to have the hide tanned as just plain deerskin either the normal way or brain tanned.

Is there any one on here that is skilled in this and would be willing to do just one hide? The brain tan site just sells hides. No links that I see to get them tanned.

Thanks in advance

2. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

Try the Dinsmore's for quality braintanning - email Vicki and Joe @ [email protected] here's a link to their website.
    http://longtrail.tripod.com/braintanning.innovations/

3. Sea Wolf

Thanks for the link and email. I will write and ask. but the site seems to indicate that they only sell finished hides. :)

4. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

Kind of a rare request perhaps..but you never know. It is a new website and perhaps the thought of tanning others hides just maybe hadn't occurred to them before! I can see though why some folks would prefer to have their own deerskins turned into leather. These folks do know their hidetanning, so it never hurts to ask, SeaWolf. I would bet that they more than likely could oblige. I braintan hides myself but I mostly hobby tan. These guys do it for their bread and butter so possibly. Good luck.

5. Caddis

Caddis Member

Utah
    Western Skies tannery in utah will do it, they do an Awesome Job.

6. Sea Wolf

What I'm looking for is hair off, deerskin leather. Not tanned for mounting. I will even be willing to de-hair the hide first in lime but not sure of shipping it after as when that part is done the hide is very heavy and saturated with water.

7. GregJ

GregJ Active Member

Look around I'm sure you can find a commercial tannery that will do it. Here's the first one that came up when I googled:
    http://www.blackhillsportal.com/anps/anitem.cfm?annid=1011

I'm sure there are many more.

8. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

Email Vicki Dinsmore yourself. They do not tan bucked hides so forget the liming.

9. Sea Wolf

Did send an email msb ... Waiting on a reply. :) Thanks for the link Gregj, that one eluded me and wasn't in the list of links here. :)

10. Felpy

Felpy New Member

Quil Ceda Leather Co. (quilcedaleather.com) out of Marysville WA. May take a while the get the hide back.