1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Some taxidermists need to get a @#$%ing clue

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by T+T, Nov 14, 2008.

1. T+T

T+T New Member

What i cant understand is why some people believe that you can skin an animal and pour salt allover the hide without fleshing the hide first. My fricking gosh. A tannery isn't going to fix a piece of sh^t and make it gold. The first instructions for prepping a hide it TO REMOVE ALL RED MEAT AND FAT!!!!!!!!!! these are pictures of a buffalo full-skin the pieces i cut off are about an inch thick and bigger then my hand and I'm not little. the whole hide is like this. It never even saw a fleshing knife. as a taxidermist myself I'm embarrassed for this person and that they make a mockery of our profession. heres a tip for beginners and veterans alike- take pride in what you do. what you put into something is exactly what you will get out. if your customers saw how you took care of their hides would they ever come to you again? just a little food or buffalo meat for thought

Tyler

2. T+T

T+T New Member

another

3. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Yeah thats pretty bad there. Its been going on for years though, seen it all the time when I worked at the tannery.

4. T+T

T+T New Member

Oldshaver you have it exactly.Sign me up for the ATTA and the tannery i work for(Midwest Fur Dressing) too. We all(taxidermists and tanners) need to police ourselves so we as a whole can make each other better. If you always do what you've always done. then you will always be what you always were.

Tyler

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I dont accept junk to mount. Why dont tanneries ship that junk back until they get it right.

6. trophy time

trophy time " Preserving a lifetime of memories since 1990 "

That buffalo is really bad, its hard to believe someone would send something like that. It's not that hard to prep a hide or cape. I have had capes come salted with out any turning of the eyes or lip skin. How do they think the salt is supposed to work? And then they expect a AAA quality capes back. ??? ??? ???

7. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

Makes you wonder how bad the taxidermy work these folks do is...

8. T+T

T+T New Member

to go with oldshavers post

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

HEAR! HEAR! It pisses me off to get animals in my shop like that. When I get one, I make the client sign a release right there. I make him understand that because his "guide" on the caribou grounds of Quebec or bear baits in Maine told him that "a good taxidermist can take if from here" ain't cutting it. I routinely send letters back to "outfitters" informing them that their names will never be on my listings I keep for customers. Fall bears with green gut skin and caribou skinned out and then fine rock salt dumped all over them REALLY piss me off. They pay extra as well.

I don't know about the rest of you but the biggest pains in my ass come from Ontario, Quebec, and Maine. I get bears in from Alaska, BC, and Vancouver that I can put in a box and send out, but the jerks on this side of Big Muddy just don't seem to get it.

SEE? Now you got me started.

10. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

George
    How do you like those August 1st Bears from Maine ?

11. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

Hay OldShaver Sign me up Ill get on that band wagon.
    TnT hope you really charged a lot of extra for that crap you got there I know I sure would.