1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

maceration trouble

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by TK5028, Dec 22, 2006.

1. TK5028

TK5028 New Member

Hi guys. I have had my deer skull in a 10 gallon tank with a 300W heater in for three weeks now. It is almost clean. However it does have some bits and pieces still on. My question is this, How long can I leave it in before it starts to destroy the skull. It is taken longer because I am in Nebraska and the weather is fairly cold and the heater only keeps it up to about 70 degrees. I just don't want to leave it in too long. Would boiling it for just 10 minutes or so help? Thanks in advance.
  2. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I've had some skulls that took several months to get completely clean.

3. herre in Louisiana at this time of year it always takes between 6 and 8 weeks to completely clean and never had any skull damage yet.
  4. Roadkill

Roadkill Jackalopes are Real !!!!!!!!!!!!

Before putting the skulls in to the water to macerate, remove everything that you can. The less flesh that is on the skull, the faster it will clean up.
    As for the little bits, you can boil it now for a little while and remove them. It is your skull to do with what you want. A quick boil and cleaning will probably help finish it.
  5. TK5028

TK5028 New Member

Hey thanks. I decided not to boil it. I just put it back in the water for a few days and everything came right off. Now it is just on to the degreaseing stage.