1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Crayola Air-Dry Clay

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by HiTines, Nov 18, 2008.

1. HiTines

HiTines New Member

Has anyone ever tried this? Wal-mart sells it. It runs $4 for two and a half pounds or around $20 for twenty five pounds.Its an earth clay.

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

If its the same as what my son did his mission project out of it cracks..

I use potters clay.. Its an air dry clay that has minimal shrinkage. I get it at Michaels (Craft Store) ... Its cheap and is real nice for doing ear butts and such..
    Ill look tomorrow and see how much each block weighs but I think its like 10 lbs.. runs 6.99 I know its twice the size of a 5 lb brick of critter clay.

3. jmgriggs

jmgriggs Distinguished Wildlife Creations, LLC

The Crayola Air-Dry Clay will crack. I purchased a 25lb block of potters clay from Hobby Lobby. It lists for $24.99 and I used a 40% off coupon that you can get off of the Hobby Lobby web site abd paid $18.00 for 25lbs.

4. definatly dont use the crayola. I bought a small thing of it and let it sit out to see what happened and it shrunk and cracked wicked

5. HiTines

HiTines New Member

Thank you guys.I sure don't want it if it cracks and shrinks.Hows the drying time on the potters clay?

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

Depends, I bag my wts for a few days, checking them each morning before getting into anything. If I need to, I can adjust my earbutts(only thing I use potter's clay for) after a day of removing the bag.