1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Squirrel eyes

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Annageckos, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Annageckos

Annageckos Nevada enjoying a deer head

NJ/PA
    I need to know what the average size grey squirrel, red squirrel and chipmonk eye size is? And a small possum about 16 in long. Also, what kind of eyes do you all use? I really don't care much for the bubble eyes, but am not sure what eyes to use. Would bird eyes work fine?

Thanks,
    Anna

2. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Since I mount mostly fox squirrels I use 11mm dark brown for their eyes. I would use dark brown 10 or 11mm for grey squirrels, 9mm for reds and 7 or 8 mm for the chipmunks. I don't think you will find a better eye for a possum than the hollow bubble eyes. Probably 10 or 11mm on the possum ???

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I sort of know a little something about squirrels, so maybe I can offer some help. WASCO carries beautiful llittle acrylic eyes made just for squirrels, and other small rodents. They have them in a range of sizes, and the best thing about them ... the very best thing ... is they have oval pupils, which are correct for all squirrel species!

Adult Gray Squirrels take 10mm to 11mm size eyes; Youngsters take anywhere from 3mm to 6mm, depending on their age and size; Fox Squirrels generally take 12mm eyes; Red Squirrels take around 9mm; Chipmunks around 8mm. You have to measure the eye opening, from front of the eye to the rear of the eye, and make the determination for yourself. The listed sizes are a guidline, but you have to choose.

On Oppossum eyes, I agree with Yeager1, bubble eyes would be the best bet for them ... and I absolutely hate the bubble type eyes! But for Oppossum ... I think they fit the bill nicely.

My advice is to buy a few taxidermy books, and read what to do, and how to do it! Some of the best books out there are sold by WASCO.

John.

Acrylic Squirrel Eyes

Acrylic Squirrel Eyes with Oval Pupils
    Finally, accurate squirrel eyes are now available! WASCO, in association with Ehrling Morch's Europe Eyes, is proud to introduce the first competition quality squirrel eye in dark brown with a soft oval pupil.

Code Size Price
    AB906 6mm pair 4.95
    AB907 7mm pair 4.95
    AB908 8mm pair 4.95
    AB909 9mm pair 4.95
    AB910 10mm pair 4.95
    AB911 11mm pair 4.95
    AB912 12mm pair 4.95​

4. Donna1

Donna1 June 1965 Panama

I have used dark brown bird eye in a pinch. ::)

5. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

John, you are absolutely right on the acrylic squirrel eyes! I just started using them in some of my personal squirrel mounts last year. When I use up my dark brown glass eye stock, I'll probably use the acrylic eyes exclusively in my squirrel mounts. They are A-1 dead on for those southern fox squirrels I like so well.

6. Annageckos

Annageckos Nevada enjoying a deer head

NJ/PA
    Thanks alot everyone for your suggestions. :)

Anna

7. This may be a stupid question but which way does the oval go horizontal or vertical on those eyes.

8. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Horizontal like a deer eye. ;)

9. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    As Ed MacMahon used to say to Johnny Carson: "You are correct, Sir!"

John.

10. Thanks I had a few pairs for some time now but never used them for that reason.

11. Huck308

Huck308 New Member

Do the pupils stay relatively horizontal to ground like a deer?
    Thanks

12. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Yes

13. Huck308

Huck308 New Member

Thank you.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.