1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Colorado Institute of Taxidermy Training?????????

Discussion in 'Training' started by Castnblast, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Castnblast

Castnblast New Member

Anyone give me any feed back on this school??? From what I have read it covers alot of material and builds good start for career intrests in taxi.?????????

2. Castnblast

Castnblast New Member

here is the link

http://www.coloradotaxidermyschool.com/index.htm

3. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I went there in 2005. PM me with any questions you have. I will help you out if I can.

Jimmy

4. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Ask for a few recommendations and if they check out to your satisfaction, go for it. Jimmy Lawrence is a good start since he attended there.
    Also be aware that you will get out of the schooling as much as your willing to put into it. We have had a couple students who just didnt want to apply themselves and soak up any information. They figured that by virtue of writing a check, all knowlege ever learned about taxidermy should somehow be deposited into thier heads.

5. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Cast...I went to CITT in early through mid 2007. I took the entire course. Fish, birds, gameheads, & life size. I don't know the 3 folks RJ is talking about or why they thought it was okay not to use hide paste over the whole form. When I was there, Jerry taught us how to sew. Why RJ's folks didn't do better is beyond me.
    This is what I have to say: (forgive me for copying & pasting from another thread where I was talking about them...it's all still true. ;))

1. Jerry and Buddy are both good men who would not think twice about doing whatever they can to help anyone they can. I love what they had to teach me and how they taught it. What a former poster said about Jerry making us feel like members of the family, exactly right! (The other students and I spent Easter at Jerry & Anne's home.) I also like Grig Gusan who was an instructor for Birds. Of the 3 people in the state of Colorado who are licensed to process birds of prey for the DOW, Grig and Jerry are two, and they tandem taught Birds at CITT.

2. Me living in Canon City was hard on my husband and kids, but we all made it through. The beauty of the mountains, the proximity of fishing & hunting, it was all breath taking.

3. The cost of tuition, supplies and my room wasn't too much, certainly not too far out of reach to deter me from taking the class.

4. I learned more in those 2 1/2 months than I even thought was possible. Living directly above the school, and being able to work/learn from 8:00 in the morning until ? at night, Monday through Friday with additional work time on Saturday, was awesome.

5. They taught the techniques of taxidermy as well as the business of it. They run a fully functioning taxidermy business (Big Timber South) in the same building as the school. We saw Buddy & Jerry working on client pieces, while we worked on our own. Then all of the work we did, (in my case, 2 rainbow trout, 1 walleye, 1 small mouth bass, 2 crappie, 1 blue gill, 2 pheasants, 1 chukar, 1 goldeneye hen, 1 snow goose, a squirrell, a bobcat, 1 3x3 panel mount mule deer, 1 2x2 panel mount mule deer, 1 5x5 shoulder mount mule buck, 1 antelope, and 1 shoulder mount 7x7 bull) all went home with us.

6. The largest group of students at any one time was 7 and that was in Gameheads. In Fish class there were 2 other students, in Birds there were 4 others and in Lifesize there were 3. The classes were purposefully small which allowed for a lot of individual 1 on 1 learning.

7. If I have any questions or need any help regarding work I'm doing now, Jerry & Buddy are there. If I decide I want to go back to Canon City with a project, for example a kodiak bear lifesize, CITT has an open door policy. I can go back whenever I want.

6. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

You learn the Basics. I stress the word BASICS. I felt like I left the school not knowing certain things that I shoudve. But to each his own. You will get a broad knowledge of the basics. Call them and they will let you know any questions you may have. LisaM went there a couple years after me. She is a good one to talk to . This is only my opinion.

Great people and atmosphere. Just needed to be more in depth in certain aspects.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

7. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Yep Jimmy...even though I learned a ton...this craft is so broad no one could learn everything from one source. CITT was worth the $ I spent. It does come down to individual responsibility though. ;)