1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

form for bigger faced deer?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by troy, Nov 22, 2008.

1. troy

troy Member

PA
    I was wondering what forms you guys use for the Northern,bigger necked and fuller faced deer. I have a buck from Maine that has a broader muzzle than I usually see. It seems way too big around for the McKenzie forms. I also use some Meder forms, which I think will work better, but I was curious as to which forms you guys that are used to mounting the big Canadian bucks use. It doesn't have a Roman nose so much as a big-a-round, broad muzzle, and a 27" B measurement. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

2. I would use a Meder manikin.

3. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I have used Matuskas on sask. deer.

4. Mears forms have a broader muzzle to them.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Here we go again! I wish someone would tell Joe Meder, Ben Mears, Dennis Behn, Rick Carter, Joe Coombs, Tom Matuska, and all these other sculptors that they don't know what REAL whitetails look like cause the deer we grow in Podunk, Kaliforna are just SO MUCH DIFFERENT. LMAO

6. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

I have had good luck with Matuska forms for the larger deer.

7. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

George..are you telling me that all these sculptors forms are identical? If all deer are the same as you imply then only one if any of those forms can be correct cause they sure dont look alike.

8. troy

troy Member

PA
    Thanks for the imput. I know I could clay up the muzzle to make it work I just wanted to know what others tried. As I said, I have used some meder forms and liked them but I have never tried a Matuska or mears form. I do like to stick with what works, but nothing will ever change if nothing ever changes. So with this one I thought of trying something different. I just hate spending money on things you're not sure about (which is why I posed this question) to see what more seasoned taxidermists used. I guess the bottom line is get the measurements, wiegh the options and buy some forms to see which one I like best for this situation. Again, thank you all for your help.

9. George

Bill, why do I sense the Devil's Advocate role here? No, I'm not implying that at all. What I'm saying flat out is that if you were to give me a deer from every state in the union with an E-N and a C tight under the jaw the same, I could put that deer on any single line of forms on the market. Sure, each sculptor has nuances to his style, but a deer's facial skin is but an elastic membrane that can and WILL fit any form where the measurements are correctly matched. I keep telling people that if NO ONE sculpts like you would desire it to be sculpted, then SCULPT YOUR OWN!!!. People who "add clay" on a stock form are usually playing with their ass. If "x" has "too pointed a nose", then switch to one you prefer, but this "our deer are just bigger/fatter/shorter/longer/wider/narrower" than the forms you get from "x", THEN DON'T USE "X" FORMS. Like most things in life, however, when you find a problem and there's no solution, then the most likely cause of the problem is the person having it.

10. I have a tick crawling up my arm, right now, as I type this. What should I do. I'm serious!

11. George

Cut your arm off before it gets to your shoulder.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I had an 8" E-N Meder form, bought a 8" McKenzie change out head. The Meder was a 1/2" narrower. I whacked off the Meder head, used his form, and put on the McKenzie change out head because it IS BIGGER, and clayed it up. Worked out great, and I'd do it again.

13. Jeez George, good thing I didn't find it "down there" :eek: ;D

All that work and expense for 1/2"? I would be willing to bet the deer would have looked just as nice either way.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Andy, stick with your skinny dolphin nosed Meder heads, add a half inch to the top and bottom as well as the sides, it's a bigger head. And it's not that much work to cut one off, and put another one on, 5 minutes. And the "expence" is the price of a pizza. You would lose that bet.

15. It's a different story if you're adding 1/2" to the top, bottom and both sides-- that would be 2". I thought you were being fussy over 1/2" over the entire circumference of the head.

16. Matt

Matt Active Member

Hilton or Mears will work for you.

17. Norste

Norste New Member

I've had good luck with Matuska forms and the Revolution forms are good too.