1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

is this ok

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by remmag, Dec 23, 2006.

1. remmag

remmag New Member

took a cape out of freefer today to thaw out it will be 60 degrees tomorrow and cape will be in my garage in the shade .i plan on splitting the lips and turning ears etc then salting for 24hrs and then pickle.i killed the deer then immediatly brought home and removed cape from the skull and froze.
    do you think getting up to 60 degrees tomorrow will be a problem.it is supposed to cool off after tomorrow so i figured by the time it thawed and i got everything done and applied the salt it should be a max of 50 degrees
    thanx

2. JLong

JLong Member

As long as you turn everything right after it thaws flesh it and salt it your good to go, I would salt twice, 24hrs shake off, resalt (fresh salt) another 24hrs.

3. remmag

remmag New Member

so let me make sure i understand if i get everything done in the morning while it is still cool .if i have it salted good it will be ok if it gets a little warm
    thanx

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Salt it & let it dry flint hard you will do more to ensure success thai way than anything else you can do.

5. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i thaw ;my frozen heads in the laundry room (furnace room) - temperature gets up to 85 - nop problems yet - as long as you get e'thing done right away ambient temp shouldn't be a problem