1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Michigan Schools/Classes

Discussion in 'Training' started by sean2002, Nov 23, 2008.

1. I have been trying to find schools and classes in michigan and the only school i found is closing now :-\, so i was wondering if any one knows of any other schools and or classes for a beginner? or what videos are good for fish and whitetails?

any help would greatly be appreciated, thank you in advanced

shaun

2. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

West Michigan Taxidermy in Coopersville Michigan has classes.

3. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I would first get a video and try something(if you haven't yet) just to make sure you really are interested in it and then decide, whether or not to proceed on to school. Then join the Michigan taxidermy assoc. there is a well of knowledge just waiting to be tapped. Also do plenty of research and reading on here to learn. In the upper right hand corner of this page there is a schools link, check that out. I hope this helps.

4. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

PM sent

5. i have been reading on here as a lurker for a couple weeks now just reading old post and doing some research, do you guys recommend any videos for fish? (bass or bluegills to start)?

6. nibjones

Pescado is one heck of a fish guy, I don't think he does videos. I would say Rick Crane.

7. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

I offer classes on occasion.

8. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

The Michigan Taxidemist Association has members that are National and World Champions that give seminars and classes. Many members are willing to help out new members. The seminars at the meetings and the show are well worth the membership many times over.

Where are you located?

9. thanks for the suggestions so far, i am located in southeastern mich (wixom).

i e-mailed the MTA last night but no response on classes just yet, how much are the fees for MTA? you can pm if you like

10. nibjones

Membership is $35.00 for individual and $45.00 for family. Trust me it is money well spent.

11. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

pm sent. i teach in davison mi. and yes the michigan taxidermy association is the best $35.00 you will ever spend.
    bob

12. Mike B.

Mike B. New Member

Also at our convention there are usually seminars for 1 or 2 days in the shop with many different taxidermists up for bids at our auction, after the banquet.

13. thanks guys i will probably get that membership for sure, and thanks to everyone that has pm'd me and for all the info i appreciate all your help so far.

shaun

14. nibjones

Look us up at the meeting.

15. Sloth

Sloth Birds to bones

I stumbled upon this topic this morning and I'm glad that I did! I live in Monroe, not too far from Wixom in Southeast MI, and I've been wondering the same thing. I'm a visual learner almost exclusively, so it's been kind of a downer that I couldn't find any nearby schools or taxidermists willing to take on an apprenticeship or something. I'll look into all the information posted here, but I'd be happy to get any more tips that were sent privately. I'm eager to get the ball rolling but I need a starting point. :)