1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Keep the Karma System ? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by Ken Edwards, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Get rid of it. It only causes problems.

44 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Keep it as is.

31 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Keep it, but modify it.

25 vote(s)
    25.3%
  1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

The Karma System here at the Forum is in an experimental mode. I chose to try it out to see how it was received by our members, and if it was an entertaining and beneficial part of our Forum community, OR if it created more bad feelings and problems.

My ultimate goal is to have a on line community in which members enjoy contributing to the Forum and others to enjoy your contributions. All of the rules and functions of the Forum are geared toward making the Taxidermy Net Forum an enjoyable, helpful and beneficial place to visit.

There are some modifications that I can make to the Karma program, and some that I cannot make. For instance, I could change the number of minimum posts a person would have to make before being able to applaud or smite someone. But I cannot alter the program too remove the anonymity of the member applauding or smiting.

This seems like a good topic for a poll to see how the majority of members feel on this subject. I will use the results of this poll to modify or remove the Karma system entirely.

2. Li Li

Li Li New Member

I think if it upsets just 1 person (and it has), then it's not worth it. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if I had all 'smites' and no 'applauds', because I've learned the hard way the nature of internet message forums (why I choose to remain anonymous). Although I voted to get rid of the 'Karma' altogether, I do agree with an earlier suggestion of having 'applauds' only. 'Smites' are clearly meaningless, even if kind of entertaining...

3. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I really don't care if I'm smited or applauded, but I think changing it to only allow members with a minimum number of posts (or length of time registered) would prevent alot of the so called "smiting drive-bys". Just my 0.02

4. coreyponder

coreyponder New Member

karma thing is rediculous. my vote is to do away with it

5. lastwiseone

lastwiseone New Member

Keep it, but make it so the smiter must sign their name.

6. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Like I said before, just make this stupid feature GO AWAY!!

7. huntingfool

huntingfool Member

I would like it, if it was used in a proper way. It could be used to "score" a persons credibility, such as good inforamtion, or just blowing smoke.., If someone had a good dealing with a person, it would be worth an added point, and likewise, a bad dealing would be worth a subtracted point. It would be nice, to know who is adding or subratcting your points. JMO
    bill

8. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Without knowing who is smiting or applauding there is no credibility to the karma score.

9. Western Rivers

Western Rivers Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

Looks like the karma thing is going down the tiolet! I dont think it hurts anything, but it shure dosent help in any way that i can see, mabey cheap entertainment!

10. rodlrock

rodlrock Mold Maker HQ Taxidermy Supply.

I voted to keep it but it would be nice know who is giving the karma .;)

11. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

12. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

If the Karma system is done away with, what will I use for joke material?

13. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I really haven't paid any attention to it. I was gone for two weeks when you first started the NEW forums, so I am just getting used to using things. I would think it would be a good thing for buyers and sellers, but other than that, I really don't care.

14. The Taxidermologist

The Taxidermologist New Member

Part of the problem is, despite reading all this stuff on Karmalizing someone, I have not loacted exactly how it is done. I even signed in and everything - I have almost 2.5 hours so far in three weeks time. Is there some majic button where you can give a thumbs up or down??

15. I think it would be great to keep it for the 'For Sale' section, so you can give a feedback on dealings with someone.

16. huntingfool

huntingfool Member

Taxidermologist, If you look under the user name to the left, you will see the word "karma". Under the "karma" are two options, add 1 or subtract 1. Just click on either one. I prefer the add 1 myself, LOL! By the way, I jsut added one to you for good measure.
    Bill

17. taxidummy

taxidummy New Member

huntingfool , I, like THE Taxidermologist, are not alowed to give "karma" tell we have 10 posts.

18. Li Li

Li Li New Member

Taxidermologist, you have to reach 10 posts before you can karmalize someone. Once you have 10 posts you'll see '[ADD 1] [SUBTRACT 1]' under 'Karma:' on the left side of the screen. It just majically appears... ;D

19. huntingfool

huntingfool Member

Ohhhhhhhhh.., Didn't know you had to post ten times first.., my bad!! When the new forum went up, you could karma right away. Things change, and I can hardly keep up, LOL! Thanks for the heads up!!
    Bill

20. Thanks guys for the information - thought I must be missing something. I would just as soon remain a guest as sign in all the time.