1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Keep the Karma System ? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by Ken Edwards, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Get rid of it. It only causes problems.

44 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Keep it as is.

31 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Keep it, but modify it.

25 vote(s)
    25.3%
  1. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Look just under your handle, as of right now yours says Karma: 15

Under anyone else's handle there will be two links "Add 1" and "Subtract 1"

That's your thumbs up and down as it stands right now. :) I believe Ken is still evaluating the system, and a lot of us are just having a blast with the way it is now!! ;D

Wolfie

2. StermansWildlife

StermansWildlife New Member

I can see the Karma could be used in the "For Sale" category to help identify sellers and buyers that are good or NOT GOOD. (Payments received on time.. Items purchased and received were what they were described...) It would be easier to tell if people have had good or bad dealings with sellers or buyers.

This reminds me of the feedback section on ebay.

Just my $.02
    Charla

3. Atdymoke

Atdymoke New Member

Either the Karma MEANS something and holds some sort of value or it doesn't. So what does the Karma symbolize? What others think of you? What they think of your opinions? What they think of your posts? What they think of your participation? I think that with the way it is now Karma can be anything, could be someone doesn't like your name. What does this accomplish? What does this tell others? Again does it hold value? If it doesn't tell you anything about someone why have have it? Look at George, knowledgeable, gives good solid advice and I doubt he would go back on a deal, what's his Karma right now .... 3. Is this an accurate reflection of who George is, NO.

I lost 7 Karma points in a little over a day, no controversial posts, the only posts I made were in the for sale section. I haven't swindled anyone on a purchase, why else would I lose Karma points?

JMO!!

4. fursupplier

fursupplier Guest

Ken, if you think the feature is cool, then leave it. Personally I don't think it's all that hot and it doesn't lend any credence to a user, but, it's not my forum.

5. I do like the idea of the ebay feedback profile for the For Sale section. Not sure how much space it would take up or how it could be legitimately set up but even half.com does it now. I know, ebay owns them too.

6. StermansWildlife

StermansWildlife New Member

I do not understand why since I put in my $.02 cents do I get a subtraction each and every day?? What have I done? People should be able to post their opinion especially since it is answering the question!

Thanks,
    Charla

7. Thomas

Thomas New Member

Ken,

I usually just read posts. However this Karma thing is really getting ridiculous.

How long did you plan on "testing" the Karma thing? I have read quite a few posts and see that you are loosing people because of the smiting. I would applaud all day if I could.

Thomas

8. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

I was planning to give it about a month before I made my decision, but I guess I will go ahead and do away with it, as it seems to serve no beneficial purpose.

Goodbye, cruel Karma.

9. Oh NO!! I missed it. People who wait too long don't get the benefit of getting to give Karma. So I guess I'll just have to giv KEN one written Karma. Thumbs up on the new forum!

Now if I could see the benefit of signing in other than posting pictures, I may sign in more often. For me, it certainly isn't about the numbers. 300 posts saying nothing isn't as valuable as ten posts with valuable information in my opinion....

10. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

Yes, Taxidermologist, I saw that you had 9 posts when the Karma ended, and felt a twinge of remorse that you would never know the satisfaction of applauding or smiting someone and seeing their Karma number change.

You really need to sign in, Taxidermologist.
    Here are the top ten reasons:

10. The topics you have contributed to as a member will be available by clicking on "Show the last posts of this person" in your profile.

9. You can send and receive private messages to other members simply by clicking on the PM icon located in every post below their name.

8. You can monitor activity in any post you are interested in with automatic email notification of new replies.

7. As a member, the Forum automatically lets you know know what posts you have seen and what is new.

6. When you revisit the Forum, you can go straight to "Show new replies to your posts."

5. When you visit the Forum, you can go straight to "Show unread replies since last visit."

4. You can change the way the Forum is displayed to suit your personal tastes.

3. You can add items to the Calendar of Events, including your birthday, or any high-falutin' museum confabs.

2. If you set the login to "forever", you don't even have to log in each time, so posts are much quicker, since you don't have to type in your name and email.

...and the number 1 reason you should always sign in....

1. I have already prepared a KILLER avatar for you and I know the other members would love to see what the Taxidermologist looks like.

11. The Taxidermologist

The Taxidermologist New Member

Post number 10 - coinciding with my answer to the ten most valuable reasons to register...

10. - does this mean I can look up other people??? For example, I could find all the posts made by Wilson without scouring the forum - good point. But then, they could also find me - heck I attempt to maintain a low profile or I end up spending far too much time here (as it is, I need to slow down my contribution rate - there are too many things I have to do around home).

9. A good feature, but I think I have sent a dozen private messages to only about 6 people in the last six years, and most were probably to George whose email is well known.

8). not useful - I use more than one email address, and it takes far too much time to sign into that I used to register with. I only check that particular email about two times a week, and that system doesn't use outlook or a way to flash that a new message arrived.

7). I tend to only check about four categories, and there are way too many other categories to keep up with. Unfortunately, a post made in the morning can actually drop below those in a particular category and off the screen if about 8 other posts are made that day after it. I scour the four usual categories and forget the rest.

6). So far I can remember where I make my posts - as I get closer to 60, I may forgot what I ate for breakfast, so this feature would be valuable to have at that point.

5). Similar to number 6, I have such an antagonistic posting style, at least read by those on this forum, that I expect some come-upance. Goes with the territory of being a PA.

4). this needs further explained in some on-line tutorial. You have to remember I am computer illiterate - what exact changes in how it looks can be had?

3). Lord knows I don't care for Birthdays, assuming there is a Lord - you'll have to check with Darwin. It took 25 years to get an exhibit on Taxidermy at this museum - I won't be here through the required 25 year interval until it gets re-done.

2). From what I gather, and I may be incorrect, a particular computer is logged into as the "permanent - i.e. signed in forever" computer. I was signed in on my work computer one day, went home a couple hours later, and when I signed in, a message said " you do not have authority to sign in on this computer" Since I use two computers regularly, and a couple others on occasion, all with different services, I need to sign in anyway every time. Logged in forever doesn't work.

And the number one reason I don't sign in....

There is a list of exactly who is visiting your web site on at all times - activity in the last 15 minutes. Now, since taxidermy is not my regular job, and my immediate supervisor expects me to do certain things during work hours, I can't have a web site broadcasting that in the last 15 minutes I visited the Taxidermy.net. Some people play solitaire for a few minutes to get a break from grinding work, I check this web site - I don't like the fact that it tells whoever might want to know, that I am here. I like the word Guest.

Kudos for your reasons though. As every year passes I have more respect for you and the Taxidermy.net website - truly an evolution of the way taxidermy information is distributed.

12. Mary Krueger

Mary Krueger Guest

I really never saw a purpose for the Karma . There are many people on this site who have misused the system, if some one's opinion does not agree with theirs. We are not in grade school and shouldn't need to have a system,as such, to account for behavior or lack of it. If an adult does not have a conscience, moral fiber or know how to properly debate by now, Karma is certainly not going to give them any of those tools or educate them how to use them. The new site seems to have stopped alot of the bickering that was present in the past. I don't feel that is being done because anyone feels the need to gain "good karma" I feel the air of professionalism the new site exudes along with the separate topic areas promotes a healthier arena for all who visit. Also, when registering,(I have looked into it Ken and Evelyn..LOL) the rules of site behavior are written out and if one disobeys, you handle it as you feel appropriate. What is the need for "smites", with a policy as such is in place.
    I do , however, feel the karma may be best, to be left, in the sale area. Hopefully though, people won't be to quick to use it without trying to resolve their differences first.There are many variables that can occasionally happen with a sale. Some may be easily resolved after a call or an e-mail. I would hate to see someones reputation marred with chronic "smites" before they had a chance to rectify a problem. Possibly a feedback section on sales, similar to e-bay, would be more beneficial, as it would let you know how transactions go and if there is a discrepency ,it will let you view if it is resolved or not.
    Just my opinion :)
    Kind Regards,
    Mary

13. Wolfwoman

I thought it was fun, not needed, but fun if you took it in the right light. Apparently a lot of people didn't. I miss my minuses!!!!

Wolfie

14. rodlrock

rodlrock Mold Maker HQ Taxidermy Supply.

Wolfe,
    I thought it was fun as well
    Ill tell ya the way I saw it 58% wanted to keep it one way or the other
    43 % just wanted it gone. Seems like the keepers won and it looks like 2000 all over again.By the way I have 50 chads at my house that were not counted.:)

15. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I also agree. I thought it was rather fun. I looked at it more as "get a cookie" or" no treat for you". It seemed to be all in fun and I think too many took it seriously. It wasn't a rating system like eBay. I'll miss drive by karmelising, karmellification or being smitified. Now if folks that had a high amount of smites, would they be any happier if they called it their "being smitten" rating?

16. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

i agree it was fun but useless.. :D

congrats Ken...almost 2000 members now!
    ;)

17. I voted for the Karma Scoring before I voted against it..............

18. rodlrock

rodlrock Mold Maker HQ Taxidermy Supply.

charles,
    Thank god thats all he got lol......Well he has his wife I am glad for that ,I sure don't want her.

19. Wolfwoman

NICE fox Cold Trapper!

Wolfie