1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First few months in buisness

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mossyoak660, Nov 24, 2008.

1. the times are against all of us there are folks that would spend if they had a job,, there are some tuffer times to come . BUT if you stay with it and skimp by there is a window at the end. some will close there doors and others will open there doors try getting hunting clubs thats where im making my money now. you can offer your services to the main guy and give him a kick back for each thing thats brought in , some of these guts will bite , dont lower your price or you will be spinning your wheels later..... good luck mark c

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Now there is a quote! Never a truer statement Joe. I hope you keep this and post it when ever this question comes up again and again and again.

3. paul e

paul e New Member

Work on putting out the best mounts you can
    as you get better
    word will get out
    you'll start picking up customers over the years
    if you get good enough you can start raising your prices to complete the circle
    and end up with good customers and good mounts
    join your state association and do whatever it takes
    whatever it takes to get better

4. We put a couple of mounts in local hunting/fishing stores. That seemed to help build the business because people could look at our work and see if it met their expectations.

5. Last year was the first year i did customer mounts, and I mounted 17 deer, 1 L/S deer, 5 coyotes, and 3 fox. I though that was a hell of a year for my first. So far this year I have only gotten in 4 deer, and I hope that it picks up, but for me the 4 this year have been all word of mouth.

6. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I had 17 last year too, so my numbers are down too. Missouri expanded the antler point restriction to a lot more counties than before, so I think that may be why.

7. I disagree. Yellow pages, webpages, truck lettering, radio, billboard, trade show displays are all great forms of advertising. Word of mouth is another very positive form of advertising but you have to get people in the door, to see what you have, before they can tell their friends.

8. TomCat

TomCat Tommy B. <(((><

hang in their i put the decals on the car, passed out cards, and hung up filers this is my first year and have got in 15 deer 2 coons and 2 coyotes.already finshed 1 coon 4 deer and both coyote , i am a full time machinist i program and set up CNC laths and mills so i will have to take in alot more work to make what i do their before i can do this full time, so far all the customers were very happy and some have sent their friends to me, i tell them if you send me work i will remember it next time you are back maybe a few years down the road i can do this full time.