1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Patching a whitetail Rack??? HELP

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by turkeymansc, Nov 25, 2008.

1. A friend of mine shot a deer in september during bow season and I found it this week, squirells have almost chewed through the rack on one side and chewed a small spot on the other side. i would like to know what i could use to fill this in with, i have never messed with recreating tines or reproduction racks or anything like this. Im going to use a cape of of another deer to mount it if i can get the rack fixed. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I have pics but it says the file is too big can anyone tell me how to make it accept the pic?
    thanks, Dan

2. post a pic and I think I can help you out

3. it says the pic is too large do you know how i can post it?

4. tommygunn

tommygunn New Member

load it in Paint and make it smaller then resave it

5. Here is one of the pics.

6. Another pic

7. any ideas?

8. Im assuming i would need the same type of material or plaster that would be used for replicating racks, can anyone tell me what i might need?
    thanks again, Dan

9. duff83

duff83 what i have in my heart, ill take to my grave

im a noob and never done anythin like this but my minitures modeling part of my brain says to drill holes into the existing good parts of the rack and run a wire parralel w/ the main beam, then fill in w/ apoxi sculpt and texture it... paint to match and i think it would look good... but then again im sure theres other ways. had i not had the internet to find out, this is how i would think to do it.

10. thanks for the suggestion

11. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

epoxy sculpt check out the tutorial section there are a few of us who have posted tutorials on antler repairs all a little bit different in technique but all very good tutorials

12. hillbillyhounds5

hillbillyhounds5 New Member

I use epoxy sculpt to rebuild tines

13. bassnbuck

bassnbuck better late than never

those squirrels must of had a calcium deficiency to tear into the antlers like that in that short of time...no wonder i cant ever find sheds.ive used the apoxy sculpt on a rack of mine and it looks good...just have to texture it or it will stand out pretty badly

14. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

that looks like a fairly simple fix. yes insert support wires and apoxy sculpt. try to match the texture, then paint to match the rest. i doubt a squirlle did that. porkie pines eat them tho.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Apoxy sculpt will not take stain, can only be painted, you will have to match paint and antler perfect.

16. thanks for all the help and suggestions, i will be looking in the tutorials too, to see if i can find the other articles.
    thanks, Dan