1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Clear coats on fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ty1on20, Aug 30, 2006.

1. I use wild life colors, and I use to use liquid crystal to clear coat. I noticed that it made some of the paint bleed or crack. I just bought some of wild life colors clear coat and used on the noses of some of my deer and it looks great. I was wondering if anyone was using this on their fish and what results are you getting from it? I just wanted to check before I spray my first fish with it. thanks todd

2. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Hey Todd!

I don’t personally use Liquid crystal however let me give you some of my own thoughts on glossing. I know that when I teach and it comes time to glass it always seems like a mystery some times how people approach doing this task. These are the steps I use and teach and I have found that glossing become much more consistent and you end up with a nice finish.
    1.) Pre- heat your fish. Take a hair dryer and even warm the surface of the fish this will allow your first coat to bond quickly.
    2.) The first coat is always a tack coat. Don’t try and make your fish shinny with the first application. In some case * which you be experiencing) you will cut or separate the paints leaving you with and alligator effect. So lightly at first.
    3.) The next step before applying you will heat the surface up. Again this helps in the bonding and also accelerates the curing and dispersal of any moisture trapped due to the combination of air being mixed with the gloss upon application. This coat is a typical moderate coat (shinny).
    4.) I wait typically 30 minute in between this last coat and this final one. I again heat the fish with a hairdryer before spraying. Don’t over heat, as you will blister the topcoat. After spraying this heavier last coat watch for runs or fogging. If you see runs or fogs you can wipe with your fingerer and then apply some heat to help the cure time.
    Well I hope this may help you! You can certainly call or write if you have questions about any of these steps.

My Best in your fish work!

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry
    312 Chesterfield Rd
    Hinsdale NH 03451
    603-336-7296

3. Great tip, Rick! Warming the fish with a hair dryer prior to glossing never even crossed my mind but it makes a whole lot of sense.